1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indications that you don't enjoy a field of maths?

1. May 18, 2009 #1

tgt

What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    You can show signs of apathy when encountering that area of maths which can reduce your motivation ,understanding and performance and this can lead into a vicious circle where your enjoyment reduces even further.If it is necessary for you to be competent in the areas you don't enjoy then the best bet is to take a deep breath and get on with it.Enjoyment may come with greater understanding.I think people who enjoy all areas of their subject are rather rare.

4. May 19, 2009 #3

tgt

The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?

5. May 20, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?

6. May 20, 2009 #5

tgt

Nah. If the interest is genuine then surely the person will try to find another book on the same topic. That's what I am doing at the moment.

7. May 20, 2009 #6
    If you cut yourself to avoid doing math problems, you probably don't like that particular field of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook