Indications that you don't enjoy a field of maths?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
tgt

Main Question or Discussion Point

What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?

Answers and Replies

What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?
You can show signs of apathy when encountering that area of maths which can reduce your motivation ,understanding and performance and this can lead into a vicious circle where your enjoyment reduces even further.If it is necessary for you to be competent in the areas you don't enjoy then the best bet is to take a deep breath and get on with it.Enjoyment may come with greater understanding.I think people who enjoy all areas of their subject are rather rare.

tgt
The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?
Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?

tgt
Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?
Nah. If the interest is genuine then surely the person will try to find another book on the same topic. That's what I am doing at the moment.

If you cut yourself to avoid doing math problems, you probably don't like that particular field of math.