Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indications that you don't enjoy a field of maths?

1. May 18, 2009 #1

tgt

What are the signs that one should show when one is not enjoying a particular area of maths? In other words how can you tell if you don't really enjoy one area of maths?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    You can show signs of apathy when encountering that area of maths which can reduce your motivation ,understanding and performance and this can lead into a vicious circle where your enjoyment reduces even further.If it is necessary for you to be competent in the areas you don't enjoy then the best bet is to take a deep breath and get on with it.Enjoyment may come with greater understanding.I think people who enjoy all areas of their subject are rather rare.

4. May 19, 2009 #3

tgt

The rule I've been applying is whether I can comprehend and enjoy the introduction section of the book about the field. Is that too shallow?

5. May 20, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe it's just that particular book that you don't like?

6. May 20, 2009 #5

tgt

Nah. If the interest is genuine then surely the person will try to find another book on the same topic. That's what I am doing at the moment.

7. May 20, 2009 #6
    If you cut yourself to avoid doing math problems, you probably don't like that particular field of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook