How do I solve for X in the equation X^(1/3) - 4(X^[-1/3]) = 3?

• Thread starter Doubell
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the equation X^(1/3) - 4(X^[-1/3]) = 3, the suggested approach is to substitute X^(1/3) = Y and solve for Y, leading to the solutions Y = -1 and Y = 4. Substituting back for X, the solutions for X are -1 and 64. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions by plugging in the solutions into the original equation. The suggested approach is the cleanest and most efficient way to solve this equation.
Doubell

Homework Statement

SOLVE FOR X IN THE EQUATION:
X^(1/3) - 4(X^[-1/3]) = 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I LET X^1/3 = Y
THEN THE ORIGINAL EQUATION BECOMES
Y - 4* 1/Y = 3
MULTIPLYING THE ENTIRE EQUATION BY Y RESULTS IN
Y^2 - 4 = 3Y
THEREFORE Y^2 -3Y - 4 = 0
THE ROOTS OF THE EQUATION ARE DEFINED BY (Y+1) (Y-4)
THEREFORE Y = -1 OR Y = 4
AND SINCE Y = X^1/3 THEN
X^1/3 = -1 OR X^1/3 = 4
THEREFORE [X^1/3]^3 = [-1]^3 SO X = -1 AND [X^1/3]^3 = [4]^3 SO X = 64
HENCE THE SOLUTIONS OF X ARE -1 AND 64.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doubell said:

Homework Statement

SOLVE FOR X IN THE EQUATION:
X^(1/3) - 4(X^[-1/3]) = 3
STOP SHOUTING! (Please stop typing in all caps.)
Doubell said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I LET X^1/3 = Y
THEN THE ORIGINAL EQUATION BECOMES
Y - 4* 1/Y = 3
MULTIPLYING THE ENTIRE EQUATION BY Y RESULTS IN
Y^2 - 4 = 3Y
THEREFORE Y^2 -3Y - 4 = 0
THE ROOTS OF THE EQUATION ARE DEFINED BY (Y+1) (Y-4)
THEREFORE Y = -1 OR Y = 4
AND SINCE Y = X^1/3 THEN
X^1/3 = -1 OR X^1/3 = 4
THEREFORE [X^1/3]^3 = [-1]^3 SO X = -1 AND [X^1/3]^3 = [4]^3 SO X = 64
HENCE THE SOLUTIONS OF X ARE -1 AND 64.
You're not done yet. Now you have to plug each solution into the original equation and check. By multiplying both sides by Y earlier you may have introduced an extraneous solution.

Last edited:
ok for x= -1 ; (-1)^1/3 -4/(-1)^1/3 = 3 THIS IMPLIES -1 (-4)/-1 = -1 +4 = 3
AND FOR X = 64 ; (64^1/3) - 4/(64^1/3) = 3
WHICH IS 4 - 4/4 = 4-1 = 3 THE SOLUTIONS ARE TRUE FOR BOTH VALUES OF X. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A DIFFERENT APPROACH THOUGH.

eumyang said:
STOP SHOUTING! (Please stop typing in all caps.)

I don't think he heard you !

Doubell said:
ok for x= -1 ; (-1)^1/3 -4/(-1)^1/3 = 3 THIS IMPLIES -1 (-4)/-1 = -1 +4 = 3
AND FOR X = 64 ; (64^1/3) - 4/(64^1/3) = 3
WHICH IS 4 - 4/4 = 4-1 = 3 THE SOLUTIONS ARE TRUE FOR BOTH VALUES OF X. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A DIFFERENT APPROACH THOUGH.

This really is the cleanest approach to solving this equation. You don't really want to "cube" both sides of the original equation, as this will just create more terms with various powers of the cube-root of x to be wrestled with.

While eumyang's suggestion to check for extraneous solutions is always in order, the danger doesn't really arise here. Since one can always take cube-roots of real numbers (and cube-root is "one-to-one"), there will not be a value of Y which does not correspond to a real value of x . Multiplying the transformed equation through by Y is also not an issue here, since we can see easily enough that Y = x1/3 = 0 is not a solution to the equation, so we are not falsely introducing a solution or making the equation into potential nonsense.

i apologize for the shouting.

What does "Solving for X: -1 and 64" mean?

"Solving for X" means finding the value of the variable X that satisfies a given equation or problem. In this case, the problem involves finding the value of X when it is equal to both -1 and 64.

What method can be used to solve for X in this problem?

The method typically used to solve for X is algebraic manipulation, which involves applying mathematical operations to both sides of the equation until the variable is isolated on one side and the solution is found.

What are the possible solutions for X in this problem?

The solutions for X in this problem are -1 and 64, as stated in the question. These are the only values of X that will satisfy the given equation.

Can this problem be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this problem can be solved using a calculator. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving algebraic equations before relying solely on a calculator.

What is the real-world application of solving for X?

Solving for X is a fundamental skill in mathematics and is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating distances, rates, and percentages, as well as in fields like engineering, physics, and economics.