Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced charge on a plane

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    attachment.php?attachmentid=44393&stc=1&d=1330230514.jpg
    The question itself is easy. E field at 2 is zero. E field at other points are of magnitude [itex]\frac{\eta}{2\epsilon}[/itex]

But I am arguing with my classmate and tutor that what is the charge induced on the uncharged conductor.

For me, I simply use the rule induced charge (charge of same magnitude but different sign will be induced) to conclude that the charge density on the bottom of the conductor must be [itex]-\eta[/itex].
    Since it is uncharged, the charge density on the top must be [itex]\eta[/itex].

But my classmate use Gauss law and obtain that the charge density on the bottom of the conductor is [itex]\frac{-\eta}{2}[/itex].

My tutor also said that the answer provided by professor is [itex]\frac{-\eta}{2}[/itex].

So why I cant apply the rule of induced cahrge here?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    If the charge density on the top of the uncharged conductor was η, the field in region 1 would be η/ε which is not correct.
    The rule of induced charge is applicable to grounded conductors. Here the uncharged conductor is isolated.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    But it seems my question is a plane.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4
    Sorry, my mistake. I edited the previous reply.

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5
    Thx a lot
    I understand now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook