Induced E Field? B Field, Current, Electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a moving B field on an electron and whether its movement is caused by an induced E field or magnetic force. It is determined that the electron's movement is not affected by the E field it produces due to its charge, but rather by the magnetic force imposed by the B field. The concept of the plates and electron moving towards each other is also explored, with the conclusion that the B field is responsible for the force exerted on the electron.
cragar
If I have a B field in between two current carrying sheets and I approach this moving at a constant speed. And I have an electron in my hand, when I see the electron move will I say it moved because of an induced E field? Or If I am standing by the plates and I see the electron move into the B field, I will say that it moved because of the magnetic force. So does my movement induce an E field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the electron will be affected by an electric field that it itself produces. There is an electric field around the electron, though it is because of the fact it is charged, not because there is movement.

Im talking about the movement of the B field towards me . In my frame the electron is at rest and the B field in between the plates is moving towards me, but when I get into the B field I will see the electron move. From my frame is the process electric or magnetic

So instead of the electron moving between the plates, you are suggesting that the plates are moving towards the electron? If that is the case, then one can also consider the electron moving towards stationary plates, in which case the B field is the one that is imposing a force on the electron (F = qvB).

well I don't think its that simple . If the current carrying sheets are moving towards me I will see a lorentz contraction and then i will get a net charge and an E field in my frame. Because The electrons moving in the sheet current are now approchaing me at a greater speed than the protons in the material.

What is the difference between an induced electric field and an induced magnetic field?

An induced electric field is created when there is a change in the magnetic field, while an induced magnetic field is created when there is a change in the electric field. They are both related to each other through Maxwell's equations.

How does current affect the strength of an induced electric field?

The strength of an induced electric field is directly proportional to the rate of change of current. This means that as the current increases, the induced electric field becomes stronger.

What role do electrons play in the creation of induced fields?

Electrons are charged particles that are responsible for carrying the current in a material. When there is a change in the current, the movement of these electrons creates the induced electric and magnetic fields.

Can induced fields be used for practical applications?

Yes, induced fields have a variety of practical applications such as in generators, transformers, and motors. They are also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooking.

How do induced electric and magnetic fields relate to each other?

Induced electric and magnetic fields are related through the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Maxwell's equations. Any change in one field will result in the creation of the other field.