How Does Rewinding a Coil Affect Its Self-Inductance and Energy Storage?

In summary, for the first conversation question, unwinding and rewinding half the length of wire in a coil with the same diameter but half the number of turns does not change the self-inductance. For the second conversation question, if the current through an inductor is doubled, the energy stored in the inductor is quadrupled. For the third conversation question, when the magnetic flux through a loop varies according to the relation magnetic flux = 6t^2 + 7t + 1, the emf induced in the loop when t = 2 s is 31 V.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

After you measure the self-inductance of a coil, you unwind it and then rewind half the length of wire into a coil with the same diameter but half the number of turns. How does this change the self-inductance?

a. It is the same.
b. It is doubled.
c. It is quadrupled.
d. It is halved.
e. It is quartered.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

L = (N* magnetic flux)/i = (N*B*A*cos theta)/i = (n*l*A*B*cos theta)/(i), where N = n*l (l = wire length)

L2 = [(l/2)*A*(n/2)*B]/i = (1/4)*[(L*A*n*B)/i] = (1/4)*L??

Homework Statement

How much does the energy stored in an inductor change if the current through the inductor is doubled?

a. It remains the same.
b. It is doubled.
c. It is quadrupled.
d. It is halved.
e. It is quartered.

Homework Equations

See below.

U = 0.5*L*I^2

U2 = 0.5*L*(2I)^2 = 4*0.5*L*I^2 = 4*U??

Homework Statement

The magnetic flux through a loop is made to vary according to the relation magnetic flux = 6t^2 + 7t + 1, where the units are SI. The emf induced in the loop when t = 2 s is

a. 38 V
b. 39 V
c. 40 V
d. 31 V
e. 19 V

Homework Equations

Emf_induced = -(d magnetic flux)/(dt)

Taking the derivative, |emf| = 12t + 7, where t = 2 s

|Emf| = 12*(2s) + 7 = 31 V??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to be having any problems with this. They all look correct.

Your solutions for the first two problems are correct. For the third problem, you have correctly calculated the magnitude of the induced emf, but you forgot to include the negative sign. The correct answer would be -31 V. This is because the direction of the induced emf is opposite to the change in magnetic flux, which in this case is decreasing.

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes it to oppose changes in current flow. It is measured in units called henries and is represented by the symbol L.

2. How is inductance related to energy?

Inductance and energy are closely related as inductance stores energy in the form of a magnetic field when current flows through a circuit. This stored energy can be released when the current is interrupted, resulting in a voltage spike.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit is affected by the number of turns in a coil, the material of the core, the shape and size of the coil, and the presence of any nearby conductors or magnetic materials.

4. How is inductance calculated?

The inductance of a circuit can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula L = μN^2A/l, where μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

5. What are some practical applications of inductance and energy?

Inductance and energy have various practical applications, such as in transformers, motors, generators, and electrical filters. They are also essential in the functioning of electronic devices like radios, televisions, and computers.