Induction Problem (Polya)

In summary, the general law suggested by the given examples is [(n+1)^2 + 1] + [(n+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2 = n^3 + (n+1)^3. This was confirmed by verifying the solution from the back of the book and proven using the formula for the sum of an arithmetic progression.
EternusVia

Homework Statement

Consider the table:

1 = 0 + 1
2 + 3 + 4 = 1 + 8
5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 8 + 27
10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 = 27 + 64

Guess the general law suggested by these examples, express it in suitable mathematical notation, and prove it.

Homework Equations

[/B]
It's clear that if [itex]n[/itex] is "row" number, then the right-hand side is [itex]n^3 + (n+1)^3[/itex]. The left-hand side is in arithmetic procession, and it can be expressed as [tex][(n+1)^2 + 1] + [(n+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the equations above, my guess at the general solution is [tex][(n+1)^2 + 1] + [(n+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2=n^3 + (n+1)^3[/tex] I verified that this is correct from the back of the book, but I'm having trouble proving it. I've been trying to use induction. The base case holds. Then we want to show that
[tex][((n+1)+1)^2 + 1] + [((n+1)+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2=(n+1)^3 + ((n+1)+1)^3[/tex] I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried a few algebraic manipulations, but they didn't seem promising.

SOURCE: Mathematics and Plausible Reasoning by George Polya. Chapter 1, question 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:

Homework Statement

Consider the table:

1 = 0 + 1
2 + 3 + 4 = 1 + 8
5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 8 + 27
10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 = 27 + 64

Guess the general law suggested by these examples, express it in suitable mathematical notation, and prove it.

Homework Equations

[/B]
It's clear that if [itex]n[/itex] is "row" number, then the right-hand side is [itex]n^3 + (n+1)^3[/itex]. The left-hand side is in arithmetic procession, and it can be expressed as [tex][(n+1)^2 + 1] + [(n+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the equations above, my guess at the general solution is [tex][(n+1)^2 + 1] + [(n+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2=n^3 + (n+1)^3[/tex] I verified that this is correct from the back of the book, but I'm having trouble proving it. I've been trying to use induction. The base case holds. Then we want to show that
[tex][((n+1)+1)^2 + 1] + [((n+1)+1)^2 + 2] + ... + (n+1)^2=(n+1)^3 + ((n+1)+1)^3[/tex] I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried a few algebraic manipulations, but they didn't seem promising.

Indeed, induction is often used to proof things like this. However, you might want to use the following formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_progression#Sum

Likes EternusVia
Math_QED said:
Indeed, induction is often used to proof things like this. However, you might want to use the following formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_progression#Sum

That worked! I would post the process, but it follows almost immediately from applying the formula for the sum of an arithmetic progression.

Thank you

Likes member 587159

1. What is the Induction Problem (Polya)?

The Induction Problem (Polya) is a concept in mathematics that deals with the challenge of making generalizations based on limited observations or data. It was first introduced by mathematician George Polya in the 1950s.

2. How does the Induction Problem (Polya) relate to mathematics?

The Induction Problem (Polya) is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is particularly relevant in the fields of logic and probability. It addresses the question of how we can use patterns and observations to make predictions or generalizations about a larger set of data.

3. What is an example of the Induction Problem (Polya) in action?

An example of the Induction Problem (Polya) is the classic "black swan" problem. If we have only ever observed white swans, we may assume that all swans are white. However, the observation of a single black swan challenges this generalization and forces us to reevaluate our assumptions.

4. How do mathematicians approach the Induction Problem (Polya)?

Mathematicians approach the Induction Problem (Polya) by using a combination of logic, probability, and reasoning. They may also use mathematical tools such as inductive reasoning, deductive reasoning, and Bayes' theorem to make predictions or draw conclusions from limited data.

5. What are the implications of the Induction Problem (Polya) for scientific research?

The Induction Problem (Polya) has important implications for scientific research as it highlights the limitations of making generalizations based on limited data. It emphasizes the need for careful observation, critical thinking, and rigorous testing in order to make accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions from scientific data.