What is the Induction Process for Finding det(alpha*A)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about carrying out the induction process in a specific mathematical calculation involving a summation and determinants. The conversation delves into the use of matrices and the substitution of variables, and ultimately concludes with a clarification about the intended element of the matrix in the calculation.
DMOC
Old topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=194725

I have a question that's the same as the one in the old topic/thread I linked to above. At the last post, I am trying to figure out how to carry out the induction process.

[itex]\sum_{j=1}^n (-1)^{i+j} a_{ij} det(\alpha A_{ij})[/itex]

I understand that all [itex]det(\alpha A_{ij})[/itex] will be k x k matrices because they are basically (k+1)x(k+1) matrices but without the ij row/column so those matrices will fall under the range of induction, i.e. between 2 and k, inclusive.

But if I substitute [itex]det(\alpha A_{ij})[/itex] with [itex]\alpha^n det(A_{ij})[/itex] I will get [itex]\sum_{j=1}^n (-1)^{i+j} a_{ij} \alpha^ndet(A_{ij})[/itex]

Where do I get the extra n so that it becomes alpha ^ n + 1. (Note: when I write out the actual proof, I'll use alpha^(k+1) instead of n + 1)?

Physics news on Phys.org

a_ij is supposed to be the ijth element of the matrix alpha*A, not A. You are trying to find det(alpha*A). It should be alpha*a_ij.

Last edited:

1. What is the induction process in det(alphaA)?

The induction process in det(alphaA) is a mathematical method used to find the determinant of a matrix, where alpha is a scalar and A is a square matrix. It involves evaluating the determinant using a recursive formula.

2. Why is the induction process used in det(alphaA)?

The induction process is used in det(alphaA) because it is an efficient and accurate way to calculate the determinant of a matrix. It can also be applied to matrices of any size, making it a versatile technique.

3. How does the induction process work in det(alphaA)?

The induction process works by breaking the matrix down into smaller submatrices and using a recursive formula to calculate the determinant of each submatrix. These determinants are then combined to get the overall determinant of the original matrix.

4. What are the benefits of using the induction process in det(alphaA)?

The induction process offers several benefits in det(alphaA), including its efficiency, accuracy, and applicability to matrices of any size. It also allows for a step-by-step approach to finding the determinant, making it easier to understand and follow.

5. Are there any limitations to the induction process in det(alphaA)?

One limitation of the induction process in det(alphaA) is that it can be time-consuming for larger matrices. It also requires knowledge of the recursive formula and may not be suitable for individuals who are not familiar with advanced mathematical concepts.