Induction to prove an expanded integral

In summary, you solved the homework equation for the case n=0, where RHS and LHS are the same. However, you are having trouble with integrating the LHS for the induction step where n=k+1. You are trying to do it by parts, but the integral keeps expanding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
skoomafiend

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_0^1{x^n (1-x)^r}\,dx = \frac{n!}{(r+1)(r+2)...(r+n+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

n≥0, r≥0

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved it for the case n=0, where RHS and LHS are the same. however, I am having trouble integrating the LHS for the induction step where n=k+1.

i'm trying to do it by parts, but since the integral keeps expanding i am having trouble with it. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
skoomafiend said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^1{x^n (1-x)^r}\,dx = \frac{n!}{(r+1)(r+2)...(r+n+1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

n≥0, r≥0

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved it for the case n=0, where RHS and LHS are the same. however, I am having trouble integrating the LHS for the induction step where n=k+1.

i'm trying to do it by parts, but since the integral keeps expanding i am having trouble with it. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
I suspect you will have to use integration by parts.

Let u = xk+1 , dv = (1-x)r dx .

Then do some algebra.

i think this is what I'm having trouble with. how do i deal with expanded integral?

skoomafiend said:
i think this is what I'm having trouble with. how do i deal with expanded integral?

What do you get after applying integration by parts?

[itex] \frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\int(1-x)^{(r+1)} x^k[/itex]

CORRECTION:
restriction on r as stated in problem is,
[itex]r>-1[/itex]

skoomafiend said:
[itex] \frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\int(1-x)^{(r+1)} x^k[/itex]

CORRECTION:
restriction on r as stated in problem is,
[itex]r>-1[/itex]
Use " \displaystyle " in LaTeX to make the fractions & ∫ sign larger.
[itex] \displaystyle\frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\int(1-x)^{(r+1)} x^kdx[/itex]​
I also inserted the dx .

The following equation has been edited.
That integral can be broken up as follows:
[itex]\displaystyle\int(1-x)(1-x)^{r} x^k dx=\int(1-x)^{r} x^kdx-\int\,x(1-x)^{r} x^{k}dx[/itex]​

And what you're trying to evaluate is the integral [itex]\displaystyle\int(1-x)^{r} x^{k+1}dx\,,[/itex] which is the same as the second integral on the right hand side of the equation immediately above..

To make the algebra a bit easier, define Ik as [itex]\displaystyle I_k=\int(1-x)^{r} x^{k}dx\,.[/itex]

Solve for Ik+1 .

Added in Edit:
Fixed typo above. I messed that all up with cutting & pasting !

Last edited:
I've applied integration by parts to Ik+1

[itex]\int(1-x)^{r} x^{(k+1)}dx[/itex]

by setting u=xk+1 and dv=(1-x)r and the result was,

[itex] \displaystyle\frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\int(1-x)^{(r+1)} x^kdx[/itex]​

im confused about where to proceed from here.

skoomafiend said:
I've applied integration by parts to Ik+1

[itex]\int(1-x)^{r} x^{(k+1)}dx[/itex]

by setting u=xk+1 and dv=(1-x)r and the result was,

I'm confused about where to proceed from here.
I had some cut/paste errors in my previous post. :redface: Sorry about that ! :redface:

So, my previous post basically says ... The integral you get in the integration by parts is [itex]\displaystyle \int(1-x)^{(r+1)} x^kdx = I_k - I_{k+1}.[/itex]

Rewrite your integration by parts result as:
[itex] \displaystyle I_{k+1}= \frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\left(I_k - I_{k+1}\right)[/itex]​
Solve that for Ik+1. (The first term is zero when evaluated at x=0 and x=1.)

i still feel as if I am integrating in circles and i don't see the bigger picture.

EDIT:
just saw your most recent post. i'll try your suggestion.
thanks!

SammyS said:
Rewrite your integration by parts result as:
[itex] \displaystyle I_{k+1}= \frac{-x^{(k+1)}(1-x)^{(r+1)}}{(r+1)} + \frac{k+1}{r+1}\left(I_k - I_{k+1}\right)[/itex]​
Solve that for Ik+1. (The first term is zero when evaluated at x=0 and x=1.)

Do you mean solving for Ik+1 and then evaluating the integral between x=0 and x=1?

i'm ending up with Ik+1 = 0

skoomafiend said:
Do you mean solving for Ik+1 and then evaluating the integral between x=0 and x=1?

I'm ending up with Ik+1 = 0

Yes, solve for Ik+1. It doesn't give Ik+1 = 0 .

Remember that [itex]\displaystyle I_k=\frac{k\,!}{(r+1)(r+2)...(r+k+1)}[/itex] when evaluated from x=0 to x=1.

EDIT:
this post was confusing. sorry!
got it now though.

Last edited:
Hey!
I actually just got it.

Thank you so much!

1. What is induction to prove an expanded integral?

Induction to prove an expanded integral is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all values of a given variable.

2. How does induction to prove an expanded integral work?

This method involves breaking down the statement into smaller parts and proving each part individually. Then, using the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is shown to be true for all values of the variable.

3. What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for a specific value of a variable, and can be shown to be true for the next value, then it is true for all subsequent values.

4. What are the steps involved in using induction to prove an expanded integral?

The steps involved include: stating the base case, assuming the statement is true for a specific value, proving the statement is true for the next value, and repeating this process until the statement is shown to be true for all values of the variable.

5. What are some common applications of induction to prove an expanded integral?

Induction to prove an expanded integral is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to prove formulas and theorems. It is also used in computer science to prove the correctness of algorithms and programs.