Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive generators, what is their output compared to their horsepower rating

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    Let say I have a 3 phase ac motor rated at 40 hp. Now I'd like to be able to convert this to act as a single phase induction generator (I hear is possible but I dont know much about it). driven by an ICE at around 1800 rpm. What would its power output be in kilowatts. Or more importantly how would I find that out? What other information from the motor do I need? I appreciate your time in looking into my question. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF! All you really need to know is the efficiency. A good 3 phase motor/generator can be 95% efficient. After that, it's just knowing the English-metric conversion factor for hp to kW....

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks for that Russ. I wasn't sure if it was as simple and converting HP to kW. A few more follow up questions. If we assume an induction generator is 80% efficient is that refering to mechanical input to electrical output? Meaning the electrical output will be 80% of the mechanical input? If so does that mean I will need an ICE that will produce 20% more power than the rated output or would I just produce 20% less electrical power? Also how do I find out how much torque is needed from the ICE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook