Inductor Currents: Find L for 15kHz Oscillator & 6V RMS, 65mA Peak

In summary, The problem involves calculating the value of inductance (L) when a 15 kHz oscillator is connected to an inductor and the peak current is 65 mA at an rms voltage of 6.0 V. Using the equations Il=Vl/Xl and Xl=frequency*L, the answer is found by multiplying the rms voltage by the square root of 2 and then solving for L, resulting in a value of .979 mH.
dtesselstrom

Homework Statement

An inductor is connected to a 15 kHz oscillator. The peak current is 65 mA when the rms voltage is 6.0 V. What is the value of the inductance L? In mH

Homework Equations

Il=Vl/Xl
Xl=frequency*L

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thought this problem was really straight forward just convert everything to similar units and plug in but I keep getting .979 mH and it says that answer is wrong so was hoping someone could help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to help me on this problem I figured it out I didn't notice the rms on the voltage so I forgot to multiply by square root of 2

I would first check my calculations to ensure that I have correctly converted all units and used the correct equations. I would also double check the given values to make sure they are accurate. If I am still getting an incorrect answer, I would consider other factors that may affect the inductance, such as the type of inductor being used and any external factors that may be influencing the circuit. I may also consult with colleagues or refer to additional resources to troubleshoot the issue.

1. What is an inductor and how does it affect current in an oscillator?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. In an oscillator circuit, an inductor can cause the current to lag behind the voltage due to its ability to resist changes in current. This can result in a phase shift that is necessary for the oscillator to function.

2. How is the value of inductance (L) determined for a 15kHz oscillator with 6V RMS and 65mA peak current?

The value of inductance can be calculated using the formula L = Vpeak / (2πfIpeak), where Vpeak is the peak voltage, f is the frequency in hertz, and Ipeak is the peak current. Plugging in the values given in this scenario, the inductance would be L = 6V / (2π(15,000Hz)(65mA)) = 6V / (2π(0.065A)(15,000Hz)) = 0.000018H or 18μH.

3. How does changing the frequency affect the inductance value in an oscillator circuit?

As the frequency of an oscillator increases, the inductance needed for the circuit to function also increases. This is because the higher frequency requires a larger inductor to create the necessary phase shift in the current. Similarly, decreasing the frequency would result in a smaller inductance value.

4. Is there a maximum or minimum inductance value that can be used in an oscillator circuit?

Yes, there is a practical limit to the inductance value that can be used in an oscillator circuit. If the inductance is too low, it may not provide enough phase shift for the current, resulting in the oscillator not functioning properly. On the other hand, if the inductance is too high, it can cause excessive power losses and affect the stability of the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the inductance value in an oscillator circuit?

Yes, other factors such as the type and quality of the inductor, the materials used, and the temperature can also affect the inductance value in an oscillator circuit. For example, the inductance of a ferrite core inductor can vary with temperature changes, while an air-core inductor may have a more stable inductance value.