Inelastic Collision of a football tackle

In summary: I am sorry to keep bothering you. Just one more question:Can you briefly explain why the successful tackle constitutes a perfectly inelastic collision?In summary, the successful tackle in an American football game between a 90.0-kg fullback running east with a speed of 5.00 m/s and a 95.0-kg opponent running north with a speed of 3.00 m/s can be explained as a perfectly inelastic collision because the two players stick together after the impact. The velocity of the players after the collision can be calculated using the momentum equation, and the missing mechanical energy can be accounted for by the heat generated during the collision. The equations used in solving the problem can be found by researching in
llauren84

Homework Statement

In an American football game, a 90.0-kg fullback running east with a speed of 5.00 m/s is tackled by a 95.0-kg opponent running north with a speed of 3.00 m/s. (a) Explain why the successful tackle constitutes a perfectly inelastic collision. (b) Calculate the velocity of the players immediately after the tackle. (c) Determine the mechanical energy that disappears as a result of the collision. Account for the missing energy.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m1+m2*v2
v2= m1/(m1+m2)*v1

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Because they are stuck together, it is a perfectly inelastic collision.

(b)Theta= 40degrees = tan-1(3/5)
m1=90.0kg
m2=95.0kg
v1=(5.00i+3.00j)m/s= [tex]\sqrt{5.00^2+3.00^2}[/tex]m/s= 5.83m/s

v2= m1/(m1+m2)*v1
=(90kg/185kg)*5.83 m/s =2.84 m/s
v2x= 2.84*sin40degrees=1.82i
v2y= 2.84*cos40degrees=2.16j
So, the vector for the velocity after impact is (1.82i+2.16j)m/s

(c)w=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K=(1/2)m*[tex]\Delta[/tex]v2
w=(1/2)(m1+m2)(v22-v12)
w=-2.405kJ
This is the heat generated from the collision.

I really worked out the problem, but I don't know if it's correct. Please check it for me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
(b)Theta= 40degrees = tan-1(3/5)
m1=90.0kg
m2=95.0kg
v1=(5.00i+3.00j)m/s= LaTeX Code: \\sqrt{5.00^2+3.00^2} m/s= 5.83m/s

This is not correct.
Find the initial momentum of each player and find the resultant momentum of the tackled players.

llauren84 said:
In an American football game, a 90.0-kg fullback running east with a speed of 5.00 m/s is tackled by a 95.0-kg opponent running north with a speed of 3.00 m/s. (a) Explain why the successful tackle constitutes a perfectly inelastic collision. (b) Calculate the velocity of the players immediately after the tackle. (c) Determine the mechanical energy that disappears as a result of the collision. Account for the missing energy.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m1+m2*v2
v2= m1/(m1+m2)*v1

Your equations don't accurately reflect the collision. You are dealing with 2 dimensions here. Perhaps if you separate out the components and deal with them independently it will become clearer?

For instance can treat them in x as though one was stationary. And again in y as though the other is stationary, yielding your 2 velocities, and then you can use Pythagoras to determine the resultant from the x,y as you were attempting.

So part a and c are correct?

llauren84 said:
So part a and c are correct?

A is ok. Perhaps you should correct b to determine whether c is?

Right.

So, I googled the Inelastic Collision to get the formulas.

Last edited:
Part B:

m1v1i+m2v2i=(m1+m2)vf
vf=[m1v1i+m2v2i/(m1+m2)
I did the x direction and then the y direction:
vfx=1.56m/s
vfy=1.86m/s
Used pythagorean theroum.
vf=2.43m/s
tan-1(vfy/vfx)=50.0degrees
So, it is 50 degrees from east.

For part C:

w=1/2 m1+m2 (vf2-vi2)
w=(1/2)(185kg)(2.432-5.832)m2/s2
w=-2.60kJ

Is this correct? Do I need to break the work into components too? I am so confused.

llauren84 said:
Part B:

m1v1i+m2v2i=(m1+m2)vf
vf=[m1v1i+m2v2i/(m1+m2)
I did the x direction and then the y direction:
vfx=1.56m/s
vfy=1.86m/s
Used pythagorean theroum.
vf=2.43m/s
tan-1(vfy/vfx)=50.0degrees
So, it is 50 degrees from east.

For part C:

w=1/2 m1+m2 (vf2-vi2)
w=(1/2)(185kg)(2.432-5.832)m2/s2
w=-2.60kJ

Is this correct? Do I need to break the work into components too? I am so confused.

You may be confused, but it looks OK.

Thanks so much.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision occurs when two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the system is not conserved.

2. How does a football tackle involve an inelastic collision?

In a football tackle, the player with the ball (object 1) collides with the player making the tackle (object 2). The two players come into contact and stick together, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy and an inelastic collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision during a football tackle?

The mass and velocity of each player, as well as the angle and force of the collision, can all affect the outcome of an inelastic collision during a football tackle.

4. What happens to the kinetic energy during an inelastic collision in a football tackle?

The kinetic energy of the system decreases as the players collide and stick together. Some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as sound and heat.

5. Are there any real-world applications of studying inelastic collisions in football?

Yes, understanding inelastic collisions in football can help coaches and players make strategic decisions about tackling and avoiding injuries. It can also be applied to other sports and situations where collisions occur, such as car crashes or industrial accidents.