What is the Velocity of Object A After an Inelastic Collision?

In summary, Object A with mass m and initial velocity v0i collides with Object B with mass 2m and initial velocity 1/2v0j. After the collision, Object B has a velocity of 1/4v0i. To find the velocity of Object A after the collision, the conservation of momentum equation was used and it was found to be 1/2i+j. However, there was uncertainty as to why this was wrong. The student attempted to cancel out the masses and multiply the coefficients by the velocities, but was unsure of the correct approach.
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

Object A, which has a mass m and a velocity v0i, collides head-on with object B, which has a mass 2m and a velocity 1/2v0j. Following the collision, object B has a velocity of 1/4v0i.

-Find the velocity of object A after the collision.

-Express the change in kinetic energy in terms of m and v0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1/2i+j for the velocity and I am not sure why it is wrong. I set up the conservation of momentum equation and canceled the "m"s and just multiplied the coefficients(1 and 2) times the number in front of the velocity(either 1, 1/2, or 1/4) if that makes any sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

anyone? It doesn't seem difficult at all. I don't know what I'm missing here..

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which they stick together after impact and move as one combined object. This is in contrast to an elastic collision, where the objects bounce off each other with no change in total kinetic energy.

2. What are the factors that affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The outcome of an inelastic collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The greater the mass and velocity, the more likely the objects will stick together after impact. The nature of the materials and any external forces acting on the objects can also play a role.

3. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the objects before the collision is equal to the combined mass and velocity after the collision.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a system increase in an inelastic collision?

No, the kinetic energy of a system cannot increase in an inelastic collision. In fact, some kinetic energy is always lost during an inelastic collision due to the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound.

5. How can the coefficient of restitution be used to analyze inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that the objects do not bounce off each other. By comparing the coefficient of restitution before and after the collision, we can determine the extent to which kinetic energy was lost during the collision.