Inequalities and other gr.12 calculus review

In summary, Argh, I haven't done any calculus since gr. 12 and university calculus is killing me. Need some help with a few questions; and I know there are a few that I'm asking for on here, but they are only a few out of many (I've done most).
AzureNight
Argh, I haven't done any calculus since gr. 12 and university calculus is killing me. Need some help with a few questions; and I know there are a few that I'm asking for on here, but they are only a few out of many (I've done most).

Homework Statement

1. Solve the following inequality. (graph on a number line - I'll do that myself)

|x - 3| < |2x + 1| - would I have to do four "cases"? Surely there is a more efficient way to solve it?

2. Sketch the graph of the following functions:

f(x) = 1 + cos(3x + pi/2), where x is the element of [-pi/2, pi/2] - I guess you guys can't help me with the graph, but some hints on what to do with this function would be appreciated. I have not worked with such a function in grade 12 (for graphing), so I have no clue where to begin.

3. determine whether the following statements are true or false for all functions f,g, and h. Justify your answer with an appropriate proof or counter example.

i) (f + g) o h = f o h + g o h - read "f o h" as "f(h(x))".

4. Define the functions:

fE(x) = f(x) + f(-x), fO(x) = f(x) - f(-x)

a) show that fE(x) is even and fO(x) is odd (what? I don't even understand what they mean by that)

b) by using the result in part a), prove that any function can be written as the sum of two functions, one of which is even and the other odd.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately these questions have me stumped; I don't know where to start. :(

For 3. i) however, I showed that the statement cannot be disproven by a counter example, by substituting 3 arbitrary functions. There was a part ii) statement, which I immediately disproved with a counter example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AzureNight said:
|x - 3| < |2x + 1| - would I have to do four "cases"?
Yes

AzureNight said:
Sketch the graph of the following functions: f(x) = 1 + cos(3x + pi/2)
Can you graph cos(x)? If so, can you graph 1+cos(x)? Can you graph cos(3x)? Can you graph cos(x+a), where "a" is a positive contstant? Figure these out, then figure out how to put them together.

AzureNight said:
(f + g) o h = f o h + g o h. I showed that the statement cannot be disproven by a counter example, by substituting 3 arbitrary equations.
I don't know what you mean; can you show your work?

AzureNight said:
fE(x) = f(x) + f(-x), fO(x) = f(x) - f(-x)
a) show that fE(x) is even and fO(x) is odd (what? I don't even understand what they mean by that)
A function f(x) is even if f(-x)=f(x), and odd if f(-x)=-f(x).

AzureNight said:
b) by using the result in part a), prove that any function can be written as the sum of two functions, one of which is even and the other odd.
Can you express f(x) in terms of fE(x) and fO(x)?

AzureNight said:
3. determine whether the following statements are true or false for all functions f,g, and h. Justify your answer with an appropriate proof or counter example.

i) (f + g) o h = f o h + g o h - read "f o h" as "f(h(x))".

For 3. i) however, I showed that the statement cannot be disproven by a counter example, by substituting 3 arbitrary functions. There was a part ii) statement, which I immediately disproved with a counter example.
How did you prove their couldn't be counter example? Just showing it is true for 3 arbitrarily choosen functions doesn't mean that some other three functions won't show it isn't true. The only way to show a statement "cannot be disproven by a counter example" is to prove it! What is the definition of f+ g?

1) What are inequalities and how are they used in calculus?

Inequalities are mathematical statements that compare two quantities and show the relationship between them. In calculus, inequalities are used to represent the boundaries of a function's domain and range, as well as to determine the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing.

2) How do you solve inequalities in calculus?

To solve inequalities in calculus, you must first identify the critical points, where the inequality may change. Then, you can use various methods such as graphing, substitution, or algebraic manipulation to determine the intervals where the inequality is true. Finally, you can check the endpoints of each interval to ensure the solution is correct.

3) What is the difference between strict and non-strict inequalities?

Strict inequalities, denoted by <, >, or ≠, indicate that the two quantities being compared are not equal. Non-strict inequalities, denoted by ≤ or ≥, include the possibility that the two quantities may be equal. In calculus, strict inequalities are often used to represent limits, while non-strict inequalities are used to show continuity or differentiability.

4) Can inequalities be solved using calculus?

Yes, inequalities can be solved using calculus. In fact, calculus provides powerful tools such as derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve inequalities. These tools allow us to determine the behavior of functions and their relationships with other quantities, making it possible to find solutions to inequalities.

5) How are inequalities related to optimization problems in calculus?

Inequalities play a crucial role in optimization problems in calculus. These problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function within a given domain. Inequalities are used to represent the constraints on the domain and range of the function, and the solution to the optimization problem is typically the point where these inequalities are satisfied.