Inertia and Wr^2 GD^2 and mr^2

• Thread starter knarl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the units for inertia are kgm^2 for SI units and Kgf or kgfm^2 for imperial units. The units are based on mass and force, with the gravitational acceleration and diameter playing a role in the imperial units. The correct unit for moments of inertia is kgm^2 for SI units. The formula to calculate moments of inertia is I = \tau/\alpha, where torque is in units of Nm and angular acceleration is in rad/sec^{2}.
knarl
trying to figure out units for inertia.

am I right in saying some units for inertia are?:

imperial units - not interested (Wr^2)
kgfm^2 (GD^2)
kgm^2 (mr^2)

if so, what is the f and the G and the D?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
knarl said:
trying to figure out units for inertia.

am I right in saying some units for inertia are?:

imperial units - not interested (Wr^2)
kgfm^2 (GD^2)
kgm^2 (mr^2)

if so, what is the f and the G and the D?
The units are that of mass: kg, g, lb, oz. Mass is a measure of the inertia of an object - the ratio of force to acceleration. Inertia = f/a = m

AM

sorry, I meant moments of intertia. ie for a rotating body. It's just really the f that is putting me off.

That's an ancient (b4 1961) unit for force.It's Kgf=Kilogram-force...The gravitational acceleration (average) at the surface of the Earth times 1Kg.That explains G...As for D,i guess it's probably distance (?)...

The last of the 3 units presented is the correct (SI-mKgs) one.

Daniel.

knarl said:
sorry, I meant moments of intertia. ie for a rotating body. It's just really the f that is putting me off.
Ok. Just use [tex]I = \tau/\alpha[/tex].

Since torque is in units of force * distance or Nm, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is [itex]rad/sec^{2}[/itex], the units are [itex]Nmsec^2[/itex] (or [itex]kgm^2[/itex] since [itex] N = kgm/sec^2[/itex]). As dexter says, kgf is kilograms force which is 1 kg x 9.8m/sec^2.

AM

thanks guys, I had a hunch that was what the f was. And the D is diameter.

knarl.

Weight times diameter doesn't make any sense...Even elimination would lead you to the correct answer.

Daniel.

What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change in its state of motion. It is a measure of an object's mass and its tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed.

What is Wr^2 GD^2?

Wr^2 GD^2 is a formula used to calculate the rotational inertia of an object. It takes into account the object's mass, radius of rotation, and distribution of mass.

What is mr^2?

mr^2 is another formula used to calculate the rotational inertia of an object. It takes into account the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

How do inertia and Wr^2 GD^2 affect an object's motion?

Inertia and Wr^2 GD^2 determine how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. Objects with a higher inertia or a larger Wr^2 GD^2 will require more force to change their rotational speed or direction.

How can inertia and Wr^2 GD^2 be applied in real life?

Inertia and Wr^2 GD^2 are important concepts in engineering and physics. They are used in designing and analyzing rotating machinery, such as car engines, turbines, and flywheels. They also play a role in sports, as athletes must consider the inertia of their bodies and equipment in order to perform certain movements and tricks.