Inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods

In summary: The moment of inertia about an axis that passes through the mass center and is perpendicular to the plane of the image is simply Ia + Ib + Ic.
aivilo775
Homework Statement
The four masses shown in (Figure 1) are connected by massless, rigid rods. Assume that m = 230 g. Find the moment of inertia about an axis that passes through mass A and is perpendicular to the plane of the image.
Relevant Equations
Ia = kg * m^2
Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 7.50.57 PM.png

I found xcm = 6.2cm, ycm = 4.9cm, but am unsure of how to tackle the inertia part of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your ##x_{cm}## and ##y_{cm}## are right (I haven't checked). Then you can merely apply the "parallel axis theorem" which in plain english states

"The moment of inertia about a given axis (presumably not the center of mass) is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus ##Mh^2## where ##M## is the total mass and ##h## is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of interest.

##I = I_{cm} + Mh^2##

You've already done the hard part. The answer to your second question is seconds away.

So I suggest you find the Moment of Inertia about the center of mass that you calculated and just add ##Mh^2##

Likes topsquark
I'm going to do it both manually and by using the parallel axis theorem just to make sure I'm not going crazy.

You should do the same.

Remember ##I = \sum \limits_{i=1}^{n} m_i r_i^2## for each of the ##n## particles and the axis of interest.

Likes topsquark
PhDeezNutz said:
Remember I=∑i=1nmiri2 for each of the n particles and the axis of interest.
So I did I = Ia +Ib+Ic+Id. Since it's rotating through mass A, I set Ia = 0. I then did I = (.5)(230/1000)(8/100)^2 + (.5)(300/1000)(sqrt[(10/100)^2 + (8/100)^2)])^2 + (.5)(230/1000)(10/100)^2

I got that I = 0.004346 kg * m^2

Does this seem right?

Or I suppose I shouldn't use the .5 so
I = (230/1000)(8/100)^2 + (300/1000)(sqrt[(10/100)^2 + (8/100)^2)])^2 + (230/1000)(10/100)^2 = 0.008692

aivilo775 said:
So I did I = Ia +Ib+Ic+Id. Since it's rotating through mass A, I set Ia = 0. I then did I = (.5)(230/1000)(8/100)^2 + (.5)(300/1000)(sqrt[(10/100)^2 + (8/100)^2)])^2 + (.5)(230/1000)(10/100)^2

I got that I = 0.004346 kg * m^2

Does this seem right?
It doesn't seem right. Why are you multiplying each term by 0.5? Please post your equations in symbolic form then substitute the numbers at the very end. If you don't know how to use LaTeX for posting equations, click on the link "LaTeX Guide", lower left.

Likes topsquark
Still incorrect. There are three masses to consider, so there are three terms to add. I see only two. Also, only one mass is in your expression, the one in the second term.

Likes PhDeezNutz and topsquark
aivilo775 said:
Homework Statement:: The four masses shown in (Figure 1) are connected by massless, rigid rods. Assume that m = 230 g. Find the moment of inertia about an axis that passes through mass A and is perpendicular to the plane of the image.
Relevant Equations:: Ia = kg * m^2

I found xcm = 6.2cm, ycm = 4.9cm
It is rarely helpful to find the common mass centre of an assemblage. Moments of inertia are additive, as shown in post #3. This gives you a much easier way.

Likes topsquark

What is inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods?

Inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods is a concept in physics that describes the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In this specific scenario, four masses are connected by rigid rods, and the inertia of the system is determined by the masses and their distribution.

How is inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods calculated?

The inertia of a system with four masses connected by massless rigid rods can be calculated using the formula I = m1r1^2 + m2r2^2 + m3r3^2 + m4r4^2, where m1-m4 are the masses of the objects and r1-r4 are the distances from the center of mass to each mass.

How does inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods affect motion?

Inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods affects motion by making it more difficult to change the velocity or direction of the system. The greater the inertia, the more force is required to accelerate or decelerate the system.

What factors can affect the inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods?

The inertia of a system with four masses connected by massless rigid rods is affected by the masses of the objects and their distribution. The distance between the masses and the axis of rotation also plays a role in determining the inertia of the system.

How does inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods differ from other types of inertia?

Inertia from four masses connected by massless rigid rods is a specific type of inertia that applies to a system of four masses connected by rigid rods. This is different from other types of inertia, such as rotational inertia, which applies to objects rotating around an axis.