Infinite intersection of indexed sets

In summary: Furthermore, the intersection of the A_n's is not necessarily the largest whole part of the elements in A.
math771
Every element of a set [itex]A[/itex] can be written [itex]a=w.a_1a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots[/itex] with [itex]w, a_n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]0\leq a_n\leq9[/itex] for every [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}.[/itex] If [itex]A[/itex] is bounded, there exists a greatest whole part [itex]\overline{w}[/itex] of the elements of [itex]A,[/itex] and because any set [itex]S[/itex] of elements [itex]a_n[/itex] is bounded, for every [itex]n,[/itex] there exists a greatest element [itex]\overline{a_n}[/itex] of [itex]S.[/itex]

Let [itex]A_0\subset{A}[/itex] be the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.a_1a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots[/itex] and [itex]A_1\subset{A_0}[/itex] the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.\overline{a_1}a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots,[/itex] and define [itex]A_{n+1}\subset{A_n}[/itex] as the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.\overline{a_1}\overline{a_2}\overline{a_3}\ldots\overline{a_n}\overline{a_{n+1}}a_{n+2}\ldots.[/itex]

It would appear as though [itex]\alpha\in\bigcap_{n=1}^\infty{A_n}[/itex] contains a single element--namely, [itex]\sup(A)[/itex]. However, this seems to lead to the absurd conclusion that for every set [itex]A,\sup(A)\in{A}[/itex]. Perhaps we would say simply that [itex]\bigcap_{n=1}^\infty{A_n}=\emptyset[/itex] in case [itex]\sup(A)\not\in{A}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi math771! :smile:

math771 said:
Every element of a set [itex]A[/itex] can be written [itex]a=w.a_1a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots[/itex] with [itex]w, a_n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]0\leq a_n\leq9[/itex] for every [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}.[/itex] If [itex]A[/itex] is bounded, there exists a greatest whole part [itex]\overline{w}[/itex] of the elements of [itex]A,[/itex] and because any set [itex]S[/itex] of elements [itex]a_n[/itex] is bounded, for every [itex]n,[/itex] there exists a greatest element [itex]\overline{a_n}[/itex] of [itex]S.[/itex]

Let [itex]A_0\subset{A}[/itex] be the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.a_1a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots[/itex] and [itex]A_1\subset{A_0}[/itex] the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.\overline{a_1}a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}\ldots,[/itex] and define [itex]A_{n+1}\subset{A_n}[/itex] as the set of elements [itex]a=\overline{w}.\overline{a_1}\overline{a_2}\overline{a_3}\ldots\overline{a_n}\overline{a_{n+1}}a_{n+2}\ldots.[/itex]

Here you went a bit too fast. It isn't necessary that [itex]a=\overline{w}.a_1a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}...[/itex] or [itex]a=\overline{w}.\overline{a_1}a_2a_3\ldots{a_n}...,[/itex] are in A. So it isn't necessary that [itex]A_1\subseteq A[/itex].

For example, take [itex]A=\{222.000000..., 0.3333...\}[/itex], then it isn't true that [itex]222.3333...[/itex] is in A, but that is what you are claiming! Furthermore, 222.3333... isn't even the supremum of A! So you'll need a different method to actually obtain the supremum.

I understand what you're trying to say. However, I meant to imply that A_0, for example, would be defined as the set of precisely those elements of A whose whole part is equal to [itex]\overline{w}[/itex] by stating that A_0 is a subset of A.

math771 said:
I understand what you're trying to say. However, I meant to imply that A_0, for example, would be defined as the set of precisely those elements of A whose whole part is equal to [itex]\overline{w}[/itex] by stating that A_0 is a subset of A.

Ah yes, I see now. Well, then I see no real reason why

[tex]\bigcap_{n}{A_n}[/tex]

should be nonempty. If you use completeness, then this intersection is nonempty if the An are closed and nonempty. But the An aren't necessarily closed here!

This is how I understand you:

A is a bounded subset of the reals. Let w be the largest integer such that w.a1a2a3... for some sequence a_i is in A, and let A_0 be the subset of A such that w.a1a2... is in A for some sequence a_i. Let b0 be the largest integer in A_0 such that w.b0a1a2... is in A_0 for some sequence a_i. Recursively define A_n as such: let b_n be the largest integer such that w.b0b1b2...b_(n-1)a1a2a3... is in A_(n-1) for some sequence a_i, and let A_n be the subset of A_(n-1) of the elements on the form w.b0b1...bna1a2... for some sequence a_i.

Now what you seem to want to conclude is that w.b0b1b2... is in the intersection of the A_n's. But this is not necessarily so. For every n, there is a sequence a_i such that w.b0b1...bna1a2... is in A_n for some sequence a_i, but you don't know whether w.b0b1b2... is in A_n for any n.

What is an infinite intersection of indexed sets?

An infinite intersection of indexed sets is the intersection of an infinite number of sets that are indexed by some parameter, such as a natural number or a real number. It is represented by the symbol ∩ and includes all elements that are common to all of the sets.

What is the notation used for an infinite intersection of indexed sets?

The notation used for an infinite intersection of indexed sets is ∩nAn, where n is the index and An represents the set indexed by n.

What is the cardinality of an infinite intersection of indexed sets?

The cardinality of an infinite intersection of indexed sets can vary based on the number of sets being intersected and their elements. It can range from being finite to being uncountably infinite.

What properties does an infinite intersection of indexed sets have?

An infinite intersection of indexed sets has the properties of being associative, commutative, and having the identity element of the universal set. It is also distributive over union and has the property of monotonicity.

What is an example of an infinite intersection of indexed sets?

An example of an infinite intersection of indexed sets is the set of all real numbers that are multiples of both 2 and 3. It can be represented as ∩n{x ∈ ℜ | x = 2n & x = 3n} = {0, 6, 12, 18, ...}.