Infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n?

In summary, the expansion (1+x)n has an infinite number of terms when |x|<1 and n is any real number. This is because if n is an integer, there will be n terms, but if n is not an integer, the terms will continue infinitely. This is useful for finding approximate solutions, such as in the case of expanding \sqrt{x+1}.
2^Oscar
hey,

I'm having a good deal of difficulty understanding why the following expansion has an infinite number of terms within it:

(1+x)n (|x|<1 where n is any real number)

Would someone mind explaining this to me please?

Thanks,
Oscar

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2^Oscar said:
hey,

I'm having a good deal of difficulty understanding why the following expansion has an infinite number of terms within it:

(1+x)n (|x|<1 where n is any real number)

Would someone mind explaining this to me please?

Thanks,
Oscar

If n was an integer there would be n terms, but how do you suppose someone expands [tex](1+x)^\sqrt{2}[/tex]?

I think he is referring to Newton's form of the binominal theorem for the absolute value of n less than 1.
Something like[tex] \sqrt{x+1}= x+\frac{1}{2x}-\frac{1}{8x^3}+-[/tex] In the case of x=5^2, we can expand like
[tex]\sqrt{5^2+1} = 5+1/10-1/1000+-+ =5 +99/1000 =5.099 +-+[/tex] This is sometimes a convient way to get rough answers mentally.

Last edited:
If you follow the (infinite) formula for integer n, you'll see that all but finitely many terms are equal to zero. If n is not an integer then the terms are all nonzero.

1. What is the concept of an infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n?

When we expand the expression (1+x)^n, we get a series of terms that involve different powers of x. If we were to continue this expansion infinitely, we would get an infinite number of terms.

2. Can we actually have an infinite number of terms in a mathematical expression?

No, it is not possible to have an infinite number of terms in a mathematical expression. It is simply a theoretical concept used in calculus to explain the behavior of functions.

3. What is the significance of an infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n?

The infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n allows us to approximate the behavior of a function at different values of x. By adding more and more terms, we can get a more accurate representation of the function.

4. How can we use an infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n in real life?

The concept of an infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n is used in physics and engineering to model and predict the behavior of systems. It is also used in financial mathematics to calculate compound interest and in statistics to analyze data.

5. Is it necessary to consider an infinite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n for practical applications?

No, in most practical applications, we only need to consider a finite number of terms in the expansion (1+x)^n. This is because the higher-order terms become negligible for small values of x, making the approximation with a finite number of terms sufficient for most purposes.