Infinite Series (2 diverge -> 1 converge)

In summary: What is a positive decreasing series?A positive decreasing series is a series that decreases over time.
linuxux
Infinite Series (2 diverge --> 1 converge)

I've been trying to figure this question out:

Find examples of two positive and decreasing series, [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] and [tex]\sum b_n [/tex], both of which diverge, but for which [tex]\sum min(a_n,b_n)[/tex] converges.

It doesn't make any sense to me that any positive and decreasing divergent series can be combined with another to produce a convergent series. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you don't mean 2 positive and decreasing sequences an and bn such that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] diverge?

Just asking before I give it a crack.

Zurtex said:
Are you sure you don't mean 2 positive and decreasing sequences an and bn such that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum b_n[/itex] diverge?

Just asking before I give it a crack.

100% sure.

Off the top of my head I'd say the question is flawed. If:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{i} a_n[/tex]

Is a positive, decreasing divergent series in i, then WLOG we can say that a0 >> 0. We can also say that an<0 for all n > 0. So if we take bn = -an and look at this sequence:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{i} b_n[/tex]

All summation terms are positive, the series doesn't converge and the series is strictly less than infinity. Now if the series is strictly less than infinity it is necessary that:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} b_n = 0[/tex]

And that for some n > N we have that:

[tex]\sum_{n=N}^{\infty} b_n < B_0 \quad B_0 \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

But because bn > 0 and the real numbers are complete, there must in fact be some B such that:

[tex]\sum_{n=N}^{\infty} b_n = B \quad B \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

(All the rigorous proof words escape my mind right now, but I'm quite confident this holds, it's reminding me of some work I did on my metric spaces course).

Last edited:
thats not the first time I've come across a flawed question like this.
...thanks anyway.

linuxux said:
thats not the first time I've come across a flawed question like this.
...thanks anyway.
What is a positive decreasing series?

I'm pretty certain that you mean a_n and b_n are decreasing sequences. (In which case the result is true.)

morphism said:
What is a positive decreasing series?

I'm pretty certain that you mean a_n and b_n are decreasing sequences. (In which case the result is true.)

thats what I'm thinking. i am actually using the first version of a book that is now in its 8th revision, so I'm guessing there are a few errors. however i saw similar question in another book which did specify a_n and b_n being positive & decreasing sequences, while their series were divergent. I also need some advice on that problem.

Thanks.

Last edited:

FAQ: Infinite Series (2 diverge -> 1 converge)

1. What are infinite series and how do they work?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. Each term is typically calculated by multiplying a constant value by an exponent that increases with each subsequent term. The sum of an infinite series is the limit of the partial sums, which means the more terms are added, the closer the sum gets to a specific value.

2. How can an infinite series have both convergent and divergent parts?

Infinite series can have both convergent and divergent parts because the convergence or divergence is determined by the behavior of the terms in the series. If the terms approach a finite number as the number of terms increases, the series is convergent. However, if the terms increase without limit, the series is divergent.

3. How can we determine if an infinite series will converge or diverge?

There are various tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, such as the Ratio Test, the Root Test, and the Comparison Test. These tests analyze the behavior of the terms in the series and provide a way to determine if the series will converge or diverge.

4. Can an infinite series with divergent parts still have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have divergent parts and still have a finite sum. This is because the divergent parts may cancel each other out, resulting in a finite sum. This is known as conditional convergence and is often seen in alternating series.

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series with convergent and divergent parts?

Infinite series are used in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, the concept of infinite series is used in calculating interest rates and in modeling natural phenomena like the motion of a pendulum. In physics, infinite series are used to approximate complex functions and phenomena, such as wave patterns and electromagnetic fields.