Infinite Series: rearrangement of Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses a rearrangement of a convergent series and the exercise to show that the rearranged series also has the same sum and is convergent. The method used involves bounding the difference between the partial sums of the original and rearranged series, and showing that as n approaches infinity, the difference becomes smaller, leading to the conclusion that the new series also converges. Additional clarification is needed on the validity of the method and how to show the convergence of the new series.
MrBailey
Hello,
I could use a big helping hand in trying to understand an example from a text.
Let's say I have a convergent series:

[tex]S=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{a_n}[/tex]

Okay, so now:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{a'_n}[/tex]

is a rearrangement of the series where no term has been moved more than 2 places.

So, the exercise is to show that the rearranged series has the same sum and is also convergent.

A partial sum of the original series:

[tex]S_N=a_1+a_2+\ldots +a_N = S_{N-2}+a_{N-1}+a_N[/tex]

A partial sum of the rearranged series:

[tex]S'_N=a'_1+a'_2+\ldots +a'_N = S'_{N-2}+a'_{N-1}+a'_N[/tex]

I think I need to somehow bound
[tex]S'_N[/tex]
but I'm not sure how.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Bailey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to bound [tex]|S'_N-S_N|[/tex]

Okay, is this on the right track?

So,

[tex]S_n = a_1 + a_2 + \ldots + a_n[/tex]

and

[tex]S'_n[/tex] is a rearrangement of the series where the terms move no more than 2 places.

Then

[tex]|S'_n - S_n| \leq |a_{n-1}| + |a_n| + |a_{n_1}| + |a_{n_2}|[/tex]

where [tex] n < n_1 < n_2[/tex]

From that we get:

[tex]S_n - (|a_{n-1}| + |a_n| + |a_{n_1}| + |a_{n_2}|) \leq S'_n \leq S_n + (|a_{n-1}| + |a_n| + |a_{n_1}| + |a_{n_2}|)[/tex]

but since the original series converges: [tex]a_n \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]S_n \leq S'_n \leq S_n[/tex] or [tex]S_n = S'_n[/tex]

Is this correct?

How do I show that the new series converges as well?
Thanks,
Bailey

MrBailey said:
Therefore, [tex]S_n \leq S'_n \leq S_n[/tex] or [tex]S_n = S'_n[/tex]

What values of n do you think this equation is true?

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of infinitely many terms, where each term is added to the previous term in a specific pattern.

What is the rearrangement of terms in an infinite series?

Rearrangement of terms in an infinite series refers to changing the order in which the terms are added. This can result in a different sum for the series.

Can any infinite series be rearranged?

No, not all infinite series can be rearranged without changing the sum. Only conditionally convergent series can be rearranged without altering the sum. Absolutely convergent series will have the same sum regardless of the order of terms.

What is the Riemann Rearrangement Theorem?

The Riemann Rearrangement Theorem states that for a conditionally convergent series, any real number can be obtained as the sum of the series by rearranging the terms in a specific way. This means that conditionally convergent series are not always intuitive and can produce surprising results when rearranging terms.

Why is it important to understand the concept of rearrangement of terms in infinite series?

Understanding the concept of rearrangement of terms in infinite series is important because it can affect the convergence and divergence of a series. It is also important in applications such as Fourier series, where rearranging terms can result in a completely different function. Additionally, understanding this concept can help avoid mathematical errors and misunderstandings when working with infinite series.