Exploring Infinite Series: What is the Definition?

In summary, an infinite series is defined as a sequence of partial sums of a sequence of elements of complex numbers. If the limit of the sequence exists, the series is convergent and the limit is called the sum of the series. A notation such as \sum_{n=p}^{\infty}a_{n} indicates the sum of elements from a_p to infinity. The definition of this notation is similar to that of \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_{n}, where the series starts at the first term. If a series converges, then it will also converge when starting at a different limit, with the sum approaching a slightly different value.
gotjrgkr
infinite series!

Homework Statement

Hi!
I've learned that the definition of a sequence of elements of complex numbers is as follows;
a sequence is a function whose domain is a set of all positive integers with values in a set consisting of all complex numbers. (Denote the set of all complex numbers by C from now on)
Now, let {a[itex]_{n}[/itex]} be a sequence of elements of C.
Then, as you know, infinite series is defined as a sequence of partial sums b[itex]_{k}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{k}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].If the limit of the sequence exists, then it is said that the infinite series{b[itex]_{k}[/itex]} is convergent. In this case,
a value of the limit of the sequence is called a sum of the series and is denoted by
lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow}[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]b[itex]_{k}[/itex].

Now, here is my question.
I've seen a notation like this; [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{n=p}[/itex][itex]^{\infty}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] where p is any integer. If p is not 1, then I have no idea how to interpret this expression...
What is the exact definition of a kind of a sum above..?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

It's [itex]a_p+a_{p+1}+a_{p+2}+...[/itex] It's the difference between the sum of the whole series and the (p-1)th partial sum.

Dick said:
It's [itex]a_p+a_{p+1}+a_{p+2}+...[/itex] It's the difference between the sum of the whole series and the (p-1)th partial sum.

Then what can you say about ,for example,[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=-3}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]??
Do you think that it is a difference between the sum of a sequence a[itex]_{1}[/itex],a[itex]_{2}[/itex],... and (a[itex]_{-3}[/itex]+...+a[itex]_{0}[/itex])?

I want to know a kind of a definition such as a form of limit expression...as I showed in the case of [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].

gotjrgkr said:
Then what can you say about ,for example,[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=-3}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]??
Do you think that it is a difference between the sum of a sequence a[itex]_{1}[/itex],a[itex]_{2}[/itex],... and (a[itex]_{-3}[/itex]+...+a[itex]_{0}[/itex])?

I want to know a kind of a definition such as a form of limit expression...as I showed in the case of [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].

You can write a series starting at any value of n, like p in the example you give. If you take a_n=1/(2^n), then the sum from n=1 to infinity is 1. The sum from n=0 to infinity is 2. The sum from n=3 to infinity is 1/4. They only differ from the sum from n=1 to infinity by a finite number of terms, as you said. If a series converges then the series starting a different limits will also converge. Just to a slightly different limit. There's no law that says the first term of a series must be a_1.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is related to the previous term in a specific way.

2. What is the definition of an infinite series?

The definition of an infinite series is the limit of the sequence of partial sums, which is the sum of a finite number of terms in the series.

3. How is an infinite series different from a finite series?

An infinite series has an infinite number of terms, while a finite series has a fixed number of terms. Additionally, the sum of a finite series will always be a finite number, while the sum of an infinite series may be finite or infinite.

4. What are some common examples of infinite series?

Some common examples of infinite series include geometric series, which have a constant ratio between consecutive terms, and harmonic series, which have terms that decrease at a specific rate.

5. What are some applications of infinite series in science?

Infinite series are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are often used to model real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and population growth.