1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    infinite series!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi!!
    I've learned that the definition of a sequence of elements of complex numbers is as follows;
    a sequence is a function whose domain is a set of all positive integers with values in a set consisting of all complex numbers. (Denote the set of all complex numbers by C from now on)
    Now, let {a[itex]_{n}[/itex]} be a sequence of elements of C.
    Then, as you know, infinite series is defined as a sequence of partial sums b[itex]_{k}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{k}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].If the limit of the sequence exists, then it is said that the infinite series{b[itex]_{k}[/itex]} is convergent. In this case,
    a value of the limit of the sequence is called a sum of the series and is denoted by
    lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow}[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex]b[itex]_{k}[/itex].

Now, here is my question.
    I've seen a notation like this; [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{n=p}[/itex][itex]^{\infty}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] where p is any integer. If p is not 1, then I have no idea how to interpret this expression.....
    What is the exact definition of a kind of a sum above..?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: infinite series!!

It's [itex]a_p+a_{p+1}+a_{p+2}+...[/itex] It's the difference between the sum of the whole series and the (p-1)th partial sum.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3

Then what can you say about ,for example,[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=-3}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]??
    Do you think that it is a difference between the sum of a sequence a[itex]_{1}[/itex],a[itex]_{2}[/itex],... and (a[itex]_{-3}[/itex]+...+a[itex]_{0}[/itex])?

I want to know a kind of a definition such as a form of limit expression...as I showed in the case of [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].

5. Dec 13, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write a series starting at any value of n, like p in the example you give. If you take a_n=1/(2^n), then the sum from n=1 to infinity is 1. The sum from n=0 to infinity is 2. The sum from n=3 to infinity is 1/4. They only differ from the sum from n=1 to infinity by a finite number of terms, as you said. If a series converges then the series starting a different limits will also converge. Just to a slightly different limit. There's no law that says the first term of a series must be a_1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook