Exploring the Possibility of an Infinitely Small Particle

• Thread starter Kaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of whether there exists a smallest building block that can make up everything else. The concept of infinite smallness is also brought up, with the idea that there will always be something inside the thing being measured. The speaker believes that this concept does not hinder our ability to find a building block for everything we see in our daily lives. They also mention that they are new to discussing these thoughts on the internet and invite others to share their thoughts on the matter.
Kaa
Just talking with a friend of mine and we had the discussion about if there would be a particle that would be the smallest piece there is. SOrt of a building block from which you can make everything else. Hence the fact that if there would be smaller pieces you wouldn't be able to make them. Anyway, I thought that there is more truth in the fact that there is something as infinite smallness. There will always be something inside the thing you'll measure. That's why you can measure it. There is something outside the piece and inside it. I think that, in a way, for us, the way we are living it would not even stand in our way that there is something like infinite smallness. I think that we will still be able to find a building block for us to make everything like what we see now in our daily lives. Okay, this is maybe a bit off-topic.
Anyway, i am not new in these kind of thoughts but I am new to posting these thoughts on the internet. There is probably already a lot written about a subject like this but can people please share their thought with me about this matter?

K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Kaa !
In this Nuclei & particles section, you can find [thread=43685]this[/thread].

in answer to k,to support your statement as we comprehend the infinity of largeness we our selves become smaller the particle within the particle as you say

It seems to me more of a math question, anyway :D. Cavalieri call the concept "atom".

surf, you should note that kaa posted his question more than five and a half years ago. Furthermore, it's the only post he ever made here ("Posts: 1") so it's hightly unlikely that he is still here to see your answer.

1. What is an infinitely small particle?

An infinitely small particle, also known as a point particle, is a theoretical concept in physics that represents an object with mass but no size. It is considered to be a mathematical point with no physical dimensions.

2. Can an infinitely small particle exist in reality?

No, an infinitely small particle is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in reality. It is used in mathematical models and theories to simplify calculations and explain certain phenomena.

3. How is an infinitely small particle different from an atom?

An atom is a physical particle with a finite size and structure, while an infinitely small particle is a mathematical point with no physical size or structure. Atoms are made up of subatomic particles, whereas an infinitely small particle is considered to be indivisible.

4. What is the significance of studying infinitely small particles?

Studying infinitely small particles is important in understanding the fundamental building blocks of our universe and the behavior of matter at a subatomic level. It also helps in developing theories and models to explain various phenomena in physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying infinitely small particles?

While infinitely small particles may not have direct practical applications, the theories and models developed from studying them have led to advancements in various fields such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and particle accelerators. These advancements have contributed to technological developments in areas such as medical imaging, telecommunications, and energy production.