Infinitely (Relatively) Smaller Black Holes

In summary: It is rotating.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of approaching a black hole and the potential outcomes. It is suggested that instead of being crushed by gravity, the event horizon may appear to move further ahead. Additionally, it is proposed that this could mean we are inside our own 'black hole' and may be observed by other civilizations. An analogy is used to explain this concept. The conversation also touches on the idea of redshift and the Kerr black hole.
Avtr
This is my first posting to PF, so I do apologise if my post does not adhere to the etiquette of the forum.

I had been considering black holes recently, and I had a thought/question which I am interested to hear people's feedback on, as I have not found a lot of information specifically on this concept:

It is said that a person approaching a black hole will eventually be crushed by the overwhelming power of gravity. I wonder, rather than being crushed, something else may occur.

Imagine that you begin your journey in a rocket on Earth and head towards a known black hole. You accelerate towards the speed of light, and eventually you near the point where you have observed the event horizon to be from Earth. But instead of being crushed into a singularity, you realize something else, something you've been realising more and more on your journey towards the black hole. There is no event horizon here, but the event horizon has moved light years further ahead than from where you had observed it from the Earth.

Relative to earth, you are traveling faster than the speed of light, and the size of your rocket is infititely small (no longer observable from Earth), but relative to your rocket, nothing has changed. Instead, all YOU see is more space: more galaxies, more stars. Galaxies and stars not visible to the Earth, but relative to your rocket they are moving around the same relatively similar speeds, and relatively similar sizes to your rocket.

Looking ahead in the distance, you see the event horizon far ahead, much the same as the same as the horizon moves as you are sailing along in a ship.

Could it be then, that at the same time we are looking at black holes wondering what is beyond the event horizon, we too are inside our own 'black hole' and some other civilization may be looking through their own telescopes at us.

Another way of visualising this is to imagine a high resolution digital image of stars, say 1,000,000 px wide, by 1,000,000 px tall. But to fit it onto our screen, we need to zoom out quite away until the entire picture fits onto our 1920x1280 desktop. At that level, no matter how close we get to the screen, even with a magnifying glass, it may be impossible to see any planets around those stars. The resolution of the monitor is simply not high enough - it's our event horizon. Zooming in, new details are revealed...

Not sure if this analogy works for people or not, but I hope I've made my question/thoughts clear. I'm not a physicist, and I apologise if I've completely overlooked some well-known facts that negate what I've posted here. If so, I'm sure to learn something from it.

I look forward to people's responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Correct: when you approach the event horizon (seen from Earth) your apparent horizon recedes in front of you, so you never cross it, even inside the BH

2. Looking back, you will see the universe you left. You don't see the whole history of the Universe. Contreintuitevely, light is redshifted (not infinitely blueshifted as many people expect)

3. You can not look at the direction where the singularity is because the path to the singularity is timelike, so it is nowhere is space but in your future. You just see another matter falling and spagettified.

4. The Kerr BH is a different story.

First of all, welcome to the forum! Your post is well-written and thought-provoking, and it is great to see people engaging in discussions about black holes.

To address your question, it is important to clarify a few key concepts. The event horizon of a black hole is the boundary beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape. This is because the gravitational pull is so strong that it overcomes the speed of light. So, in your scenario, the event horizon cannot "move" or "expand" further away from the black hole. It is a fixed boundary determined by the mass of the black hole.

Now, to your main question - what happens when an object approaches a black hole at near the speed of light? This is a very interesting concept and has been explored in theory by physicists. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the closer an object gets to the speed of light, the more time slows down for that object. This means that an observer on the rocket would see time passing much slower compared to an observer on Earth. So, while it may seem like the event horizon is moving further away, it is actually the time dilation effect that is causing this perception.

In terms of the black hole itself, as the object approaches at near the speed of light, it will experience a strong gravitational pull, but it will not be crushed into a singularity. This is because the object's velocity is also a factor in determining the strength of the gravitational pull. As the object gets closer to the speed of light, its velocity increases and the gravitational pull decreases. This is known as the "relativistic beaming" effect.

In summary, while your analogy of the digital image may work to visualize the concept of time dilation, it is important to keep in mind that the event horizon of a black hole is a fixed boundary and does not move or expand. And while we may perceive time and space differently when approaching a black hole at near the speed of light, the laws of physics still apply and the object will not be crushed into a singularity.

I hope this helps to clarify your thoughts and I look forward to hearing other perspectives on this topic. Keep asking questions and exploring new ideas!

1. What is an "Infinitely (Relatively) Smaller Black Hole"?

An "Infinitely (Relatively) Smaller Black Hole" refers to a theoretical concept in which a black hole is infinitely smaller in size compared to the typical black holes that we currently know of. This idea is still being studied and is not yet confirmed by scientific evidence.

2. How can a black hole be infinitely smaller?

According to some theories, an infinitely smaller black hole could be formed when a high amount of energy is concentrated in a very small space, causing a singularity to form. However, this is still a topic of debate and more research is needed to fully understand this concept.

3. Can infinitely smaller black holes exist in our universe?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of infinitely smaller black holes in our universe. However, some theories suggest that they could exist in other dimensions or in the early stages of the universe.

4. How would an infinitely smaller black hole affect its surroundings?

Since this concept is still being studied, it is difficult to determine the exact effects of an infinitely smaller black hole on its surroundings. However, some theories suggest that it could have a significant impact on the surrounding space and time due to its extreme gravitational pull.

5. What implications would the discovery of infinitely smaller black holes have on our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of infinitely smaller black holes could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also provide new insights into the nature of space, time, and gravity, ultimately expanding our knowledge and pushing the boundaries of scientific research.