Information about the Math GRE

In summary: Skip fields and complex analysis? You will likely be able to get by without knowing much about lebesque integration, but you cannot just skip complex analysis or fields.I took the most recent math gre. No lebesgue but lots of abstract algebra and topology and complex analysis. Much more than practice tests led me to believe. :)For higher topics, there's no need to really understand them. For complex analysis, know cauchy-riemann conditions and cauchy residue theorem. For fields, just know Z_(prime) is a field and the basic definition...
Oster
I was planning to skip fields, Lebesque measures/integration and complex analysis. Can someone who's given the test tell me how important these topics are? (I haven't looked at any practice tests yet) I haven't done this stuff in college yet so understanding them will take quite an effort on my part. Do you think i should just muddle through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Skip fields and complex analysis? You will likely be able to get by without knowing much about lebesque integration, but you cannot just skip complex analysis or fields.

I took the most recent math gre. No lebesgue but lots of abstract algebra and topology and complex analysis. Much more than practice tests led me to believe. :)

For higher topics, there's no need to really understand them. For complex analysis, know cauchy-riemann conditions and cauchy residue theorem. For fields, just know Z_(prime) is a field and the basic definition...

Study basic calculus more. E.g. If I give you a speed S, a position (x,y), and the starting position and velocity vector of a body, what is the shortest path you can take to get to the body. Or another, if I pick two arbitrary distinct points and define a constant C, give equation describing motion such that sum of distances from two points is C.

How can you possibly consider yourself a math major without seeing fields, complex analysis and Lebesgue integration? These are fundamental topics!

OK, you might not need them for the GRE. But it's not smart not to study those things...

My university says I'm a math major. Don't blame me...
Thanks, I'll get to complex analysis/fields now. I don't have much time left =(
I think I'm ok with calculus.

micromass said:
How can you possibly consider yourself a math major without seeing fields, complex analysis and Lebesgue integration? These are fundamental topics!

OK, you might not need them for the GRE. But it's not smart not to study those things...

Correct me I'm wrong, but many UG math students in US don't encounter lebesgue integration. Typically schools will have a 2-semester real analysis sequence. First will be single-variable sequences, differentiability, continuity, riemann integration; and then second semester will be lebesgue integration or analysis on manifolds.

I study in an Indian university. It's a three year course in which we will never encounter lebesgue integration or complex analysis. However, we will be taught fields next semester.

1. What is the format of the Math GRE?

The Math GRE is a computer-based, multiple-choice exam that consists of two sections: Quantitative Reasoning and Mathematics Subject Test. The Quantitative Reasoning section contains 40 questions and the Mathematics Subject Test contains 50 questions. The test is 2 hours and 50 minutes long with a 10-minute break in between the two sections.

2. What topics are covered on the Math GRE?

The Math GRE covers a wide range of topics including algebra, calculus, geometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics. It also includes questions on statistics, probability, and real analysis. A detailed list of topics can be found on the official ETS website.

3. What is a good score on the Math GRE?

The scoring for the Math GRE ranges from 130-170, with an average score of around 150. A good score would depend on the specific program you are applying to, but generally a score above 160 is considered competitive.

4. How should I prepare for the Math GRE?

It is recommended to start preparing for the Math GRE at least 3-4 months before the test date. You can use study materials such as review books, practice tests, and online resources. It is also helpful to brush up on your basic math skills and to practice time management for the exam.

5. How many times can I take the Math GRE?

You can take the Math GRE as many times as you want, but you can only take it once per testing window (which is typically 5 times per year). However, it is important to note that some graduate programs may only consider your highest score, while others may average all of your scores. It is best to check with the programs you are applying to for their specific policies.