1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inhibit repulsion between two like poles

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    Please excuse the lay terms that will follow.

I have been doing some reading on "magnetic shielding" and have come across alloys such as MuMetal which have high permeability and so can block interaction between two magnets.

My question;
    • Is this inhibition of interaction between the two magnets a result of their attraction to the MuMetal?
    • Will they stick to the MuMetal sheet now instead of being attracted or repulsed to each other?
    • If so, are there any materials that will block interaction between two magnets but still not attract them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Magnetic shielding (not the superconductor kind) works by attracting and re-directing the magnetic field lines. A material needs to be ferrous to do this, so yes, magnets will stick to such materials.

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/index.html

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3
    I see, thank you for your reply!

Would the super conductor kind of shielding work without magnets being attracted to it?

5. Jan 17, 2017 #4

berkeman

I'm not that familiar with superconductors, but since they repel magnetic fields, I would guess that the magnet would be repelled from the superconductor, but I could be wrong.

6. Jan 17, 2017 #5

berkeman

BTW, can you say what your application is? Maybe there is a better way to go about it... :smile:

7. Jan 17, 2017 #6

berkeman

8. Jan 17, 2017 #7
    Thank you for taking the time to look that up, that is a very interesting link!

As for application I don't really have one as of yet, my mind tends to wonder and think about seemingly random topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted