Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inhibit repulsion between two like poles

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    Please excuse the lay terms that will follow.

I have been doing some reading on "magnetic shielding" and have come across alloys such as MuMetal which have high permeability and so can block interaction between two magnets.

My question;
    • Is this inhibition of interaction between the two magnets a result of their attraction to the MuMetal?
    • Will they stick to the MuMetal sheet now instead of being attracted or repulsed to each other?
    • If so, are there any materials that will block interaction between two magnets but still not attract them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Magnetic shielding (not the superconductor kind) works by attracting and re-directing the magnetic field lines. A material needs to be ferrous to do this, so yes, magnets will stick to such materials.

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/index.html

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3
    I see, thank you for your reply!

Would the super conductor kind of shielding work without magnets being attracted to it?

5. Jan 17, 2017 #4

berkeman

I'm not that familiar with superconductors, but since they repel magnetic fields, I would guess that the magnet would be repelled from the superconductor, but I could be wrong.

6. Jan 17, 2017 #5

berkeman

BTW, can you say what your application is? Maybe there is a better way to go about it... :smile:

7. Jan 17, 2017 #6

berkeman

8. Jan 17, 2017 #7
    Thank you for taking the time to look that up, that is a very interesting link!

As for application I don't really have one as of yet, my mind tends to wonder and think about seemingly random topics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted