Inhibit repulsion between two like poles

In summary, we discussed the concept of magnetic shielding and how it works by attracting and redirecting magnetic field lines. Ferrous materials such as MuMetal can be used for magnetic shielding, but they will attract magnets. Superconductors, on the other hand, repel magnetic fields and can also be used for shielding. However, in this case, the magnet would be repelled from the superconductor. We also explored potential applications for magnetic shielding.
john1111
Please excuse the lay terms that will follow.

I have been doing some reading on "magnetic shielding" and have come across alloys such as MuMetal which have high permeability and so can block interaction between two magnets.

My question;
  • Is this inhibition of interaction between the two magnets a result of their attraction to the MuMetal?
  • Will they stick to the MuMetal sheet now instead of being attracted or repulsed to each other?
  • If so, are there any materials that will block interaction between two magnets but still not attract them?

Physics news on Phys.org
john1111 said:
Please excuse the lay terms that will follow.

I have been doing some reading on "magnetic shielding" and have come across alloys such as MuMetal which have high permeability and so can block interaction between two magnets.

My question;
  • Is this inhibition of interaction between the two magnets a result of their attraction to the MuMetal?
  • Will they stick to the MuMetal sheet now instead of being attracted or repulsed to each other?
  • If so, are there any materials that will block interaction between two magnets but still not attract them?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Magnetic shielding (not the superconductor kind) works by attracting and re-directing the magnetic field lines. A material needs to be ferrous to do this, so yes, magnets will stick to such materials.

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/index.html

Likes john1111
I see, thank you for your reply!

Would the super conductor kind of shielding work without magnets being attracted to it?

john1111 said:
I see, thank you for your reply!

Would the super conductor kind of shielding work without magnets being attracted to it?
I'm not that familiar with superconductors, but since they repel magnetic fields, I would guess that the magnet would be repelled from the superconductor, but I could be wrong.

BTW, can you say what your application is? Maybe there is a better way to go about it... :smile:

Thank you for taking the time to look that up, that is a very interesting link!

As for application I don't really have one as of yet, my mind tends to wonder and think about seemingly random topics.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the concept of "inhibit repulsion between two like poles" apply in science?

In science, this concept refers to the phenomenon of two objects with the same charge or polarity being pushed away from each other. This occurs because like charges repel each other, creating a force that pushes the objects apart.

2. What are some examples of this concept in action?

One common example is the repulsion between two magnets with the same polarity. Another example is the repulsion between two positively charged particles in an atom, which contributes to the stability of the atom.

3. Can this concept be observed on a larger scale?

Yes, this concept can also be observed on a larger scale, such as in the interaction between celestial bodies. For instance, the repulsion between two positively charged stars can affect their orbits and gravitational pull on each other.

4. How does this concept relate to electrostatics?

This concept is a fundamental principle in electrostatics, which is the study of electric charges at rest. In electrostatics, the repulsion between two like charges is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Is it possible to inhibit repulsion between two like poles?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the repulsive force between two like poles, it is possible to reduce its strength. This can be achieved by introducing a material or medium between the two poles that can alter the electric field and weaken the force of repulsion.