Initial horizontal velocity of the boat

In summary, the water tank model's horizontal velocity is 20 ft/s and its horizontal acce varies linearly from -40ft/s^2 at t=0 to -6ft/s^2 at t=t(1) then remains equal to -6ft/s^2 until t=1.4s. Knowing that v=6ft/s when t=t(1), determine the value of t(1)
teng125
in a water tank involving the launching of a small model boat,the model's initial horizontal velocity is 20ft/s and its horizontal acce varies linearly from -40ft/s^2 at t=0 to -6ft/s^2 at t=t(1) then remains equal to -6ft/s^2 until t=1.4s.Knowing that v=6ft/s when t=t(1), determine the value of
t(1)

pls help.
the answer is 0.609s

Physics news on Phys.org
pls help...

Find the accn. as a function of time (Assume t(1) = T or something else).
Then put it equal to dv/dt. Integrate. Put limits of time as (0,T) and velocity as (20,6).

no,still can't get.somebody pls help

teng125 said:
in a water tank involving the launching of a small model boat,the model's initial horizontal velocity is 20ft/s
Until here, the problem tells you that the initial horizontal velocity of the boat is 20 ft / s.
and its horizontal acce varies linearly from -40ft/s^2 at t=0 to -6ft/s^2 at t=t(1)
What does the phrase varies linearly tell you? If you plot the graph of acceleration - time, then from t = 0 to t = t(1), do you get a straight line or what?
then remains equal to -6ft/s^2 until t=1.4s.
I dunno, but I have a feeling that you don't need this.
Knowing that v=6ft/s when t=t(1), determine the value of
t(1)
If v = 6ft / s. Can you find t(1)?
Hint, you need to integrate [tex]\Delta v = \int \limits_{0} ^ {t(1)} a(t) dt[/tex].
Hint: it's a right trapezoid. Can you find the area of it?
Then you may also need to use the equation: [tex]v = v_0 + \Delta v[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
what u mean is it -40t(1) = final velocity - initial velocity??
40t(1) = 6ft/s - 20ft/s

teng125 said:
what u mean is it -40t(1) = final velocity - initial velocity??
40t(1) = 6ft/s - 20ft/s
You are close, but it's neither 40t(1) nor -40t(1).
The area under the graph of a(t) from 0 to t(1) is the area of a right trapezoid. Do you see why?
I'll give you another big hint, how can one find the area of a right trapezoid? What are the length of the parallel sides, what's the height of that right trapezoid?
Hopefully, you can go from here, right? :)

Last edited:
is it 6(1.4-t(1) )??no,still can't find it.pls tell me
thanx

teng125 said:
is it 6(1.4-t(1) )??no,still can't find it.pls tell me
thanx
Okay, take out a pen and some paper, varies linearly means that if you plot an acceleration - time graph, you will get a straight line (that's what linear means).
So at t = 0, yor acceleration is -40 ft / s (that means the line goes through the point (0; -40)), and at t = t(1), your acceleration is -6 ft / s (that means the line goes through the point (t(1), -6)). t(1) is some positive value, just choose it randomly.
Now just connect the 2 point (0; -40), and (t(1), -6), you'll have a line. That line shows you the acceleration on the interval [0; t(1)], right? And it's a right trapezoid.
The area of a trapezoid is:
[tex]A = \frac{1}{2} (a + b) h[/tex]
The parallel sides' lengths are 40, and 6. The height is t(1). Do you see why? Just look at your graph.
But since the trapezoid is under the x-axis, so:
[tex]\Delta v = \int \limits_{0} ^ {t(1)} a(t) dt = -A_{\mbox{trapezoid}}[/tex]. Do you know why?
So you'll have:
[tex]\Delta v = \int \limits_{0} ^ {t(1)} a(t) dt = -A_{\mbox{trapezoid}} = -\frac{1}{2} (40 + 6) t(1)[/tex].
Now it's almost there (I almost show you the answer :smile:). Can you go from here? :)
If you have any problem understanding anything from my post, just shout it out. :)

Last edited:
oh.got it.thank you very much

while for the second part,what is the position of the model at t=1.4s??
what formula can i use

teng125 said:
while for the second part,what is the position of the model at t=1.4s??
what formula can i use
Now, just do it step by step. You may want to express the velocity of the boat in terms of t, so you are looking for a function v(t). Then just integrate that, and you'll have the displacement of the boat.
[tex]d = \int \limits_{0} ^ {1.4} v(t) dt[/tex]
Now the problem is how can you find v(t)?
Hint, you need to find a(t) first, then integrate that, and solve for v(t).
Can you go from here?

1. What is the initial horizontal velocity of the boat?

The initial horizontal velocity of the boat refers to the speed at which the boat is moving in a horizontal direction at the very beginning of its motion. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is the initial horizontal velocity of the boat calculated?

The initial horizontal velocity of the boat can be calculated using the formula: velocity = distance/time. This means that the velocity is equal to the distance the boat travels divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. What factors can affect the initial horizontal velocity of the boat?

The initial horizontal velocity of the boat can be affected by several factors, including the force and direction of the wind, the strength of the boat's motor, the weight and shape of the boat, and any obstacles or currents in the water.

4. Why is the initial horizontal velocity of the boat important to consider in scientific research?

The initial horizontal velocity of the boat is important to consider in scientific research because it can impact the accuracy and reliability of data collected during boat experiments. It can also affect the motion and behavior of objects or organisms being studied in the water.

5. How can the initial horizontal velocity of the boat be measured?

The initial horizontal velocity of the boat can be measured using various instruments such as a speedometer, a stopwatch, or a GPS device. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the boat's distance and time measurements.