Initial Value Problem Question - Differential Equations

In summary: I don't know how you would approximate at several values of t. But I can tell you that you would use the Method of Partial Fractions. It's a fairly straightforward method and it's available in most calculus textbooks. I'm not familiar enough with the exact steps involved to give you a step by step guide, but I can point you in the right direction.In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where y(0) = 2, but is having difficulty. They tried the separable equation method but every solution became too complex to solve for y. They are thinking about how to make the integral simpler or how to change this problem into a linear form. They have learned the integrating factor method and are
spazticbutter

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem where y(0) = 2.

Homework Equations

dy/dt = 3 - 5(y^(1/2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the separable equation method but when it came time to take the integral of
1/[3 - 5(y^(1/2)], every solution I got became too complex to solve for y.
I'm thinking maybe you can just somehow put this into the linear form and use Leibniz's method by multiplying the equation by u(t) but I don't see how I can do this.
All I need is some info on how to make the integral simpler (so I can eventually solve for y) or how I can change this into linear form.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=3-5y^{\frac 1 2}[/tex]

Correct? If so, have you learned these 2 methods: Integrating factor or Variation of parameters?

That is correct (the y^1/2 is a square root but I can't really type that).
I've learned the integrating factor method, I believe, but not variation of parameters.

Try explaining what you're thinking and I'll see if I understand or recognize what I have learned :)

Well you can't easily integrate this problem, so you will need to use the integrator factor.

Will you demonstrate how to do this? or get me started? Maybe it's obvious but I can't seem to figure it out.

I know how to do the integrating factor method, but not with this problem. How would i get rid of the square root so as to have this in its linear form? (dy/dt + p(t)y = g(t))

Separation of variables works here. The expression is also easy to integrate with an appropriate substitution.

Any hints as to what that substitution might be? I've tried letting u = 3-5(y^(1/2)) and
u = y^(1/2) and I've even tried multiplying top and bottom by 3 + 5(y^(1/2)) in order to remove the square root from the bottom. Nothing has worked for me so far...I must be missing something really obvious.

Show us your work for the u=y^1/2 substitution; you should be able to integrate it without much trouble using this sub.

spazticbutter said:
Any hints as to what that substitution might be? I've tried letting u = 3-5(y^(1/2)) and
u = y^(1/2) and I've even tried multiplying top and bottom by 3 + 5(y^(1/2)) in order to remove the square root from the bottom. Nothing has worked for me so far...I must be missing something really obvious.
Why doesn't this work?

Ok. Maybe I just made a simple mathematical error the first time around. Let me give it another try and I'll get back to you.

DOH! haha. Ok I see it now. For some reason it didn't work last night (I must have been tired). I was able to fully integrate.
Thanks so much guys for your help! (and your patience :) )

Defennder said:
Separation of variables works here. The expression is also easy to integrate with an appropriate substitution.
Oh crap it is ... lol, just divide the right and get dt on the right ... sorry!

Um...ACTUALLY I have one more question. First off, I accidentally made a typo...it's actually 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) NOT 3 - 5(y^(1/2)). Second, after I took the integral of 1/(5-3(y^(1/2))) I got (-10/9)ln l 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) l + (2/9)(5-3(y^(1/2))) = t + C. How would I solve for y in this case? Any hints would be appreciated :)

Do you really have to solve in terms of y? Remember that the only thing you're required to do is to solve an initial value problem. You're given the initial condition. So just plug that into find C. It's not always possible to express a function f(y,t) = g(t) in terms of y only on the left hand side. This has something to do with the implicit function theorem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_function_theorem

I don't know if I HAVE to solve in terms of y, but all the examples/problems that we've done in class have been in that form so I really don't know.
So I take it there is no real way of finding it it in terms of y on the left hand side?

Actually, I take that back. There is a second part to the problem. I have to use Euler's method to approximate at several values of t. I take it I need to first solve for y in this IVP problem so I can use it in Euler's method. Any ideas on how I'm supposed to do this?

Related to Initial Value Problem Question - Differential Equations

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding the solution to an equation based on a given initial condition. This initial condition is usually in the form of a specific value for the dependent variable at a certain independent variable value.

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

The main difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem is the type of information given. In an initial value problem, the initial condition is given and the solution is sought at a specific point, while in a boundary value problem, the solution is sought between two points and the boundary conditions are given at both points.

How do you solve an initial value problem?

There are several methods for solving initial value problems, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transform. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

Why are initial value problems important in science and engineering?

Initial value problems are important because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena in a mathematical way. By solving these problems, we can make predictions and analyze systems in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

What are some common applications of initial value problems?

Initial value problems are used in many areas of science and engineering, including population dynamics, radioactive decay, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also frequently used to model and analyze systems in finance, economics, and ecology.