Solving an Initial Value Problem with a Sinusoidal Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with a problem involving differentiation and an initial value. They had attached their work in picture format and asked for assistance in finding their mistake. Another person pointed out that they had made a mistake in using trigonometric functions and suggested rearranging the equation and solving for the arbitrary constant first before solving for the function variable. They also reminded the person to be careful with multiplying by an arbitrary constant.
JamesGoh
For the following problem

[itex]\frac{dw}{d\theta}=\theta w^{2}sin(\theta^{2}), w(0)=1[/itex]

I am not able to obtain the solution

[itex]w=\frac{2}{1+cos(\theta^{2})}[/itex]

Can anyone point out my mistake?

I have attached my working out in a picture format below (may need to enlarge it)

thanks

Attachments

• tute3q2cp1_smallres.jpg
    tute3q2cp1_smallres.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 438
  • tute3q2cp2_smallres.jpg
    tute3q2cp2_smallres.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
JamesGoh said:
For the following problem

[itex]\frac{dw}{d\theta}=\theta w^{2}sin(\theta^{2}), w(0)=1[/itex]

I am not able to obtain the solution

[itex]w=\frac{2}{1+cos(\theta^{2})}[/itex]

Can anyone point out my mistake?

I have attached my working out in a picture format below (may need to enlarge it)

thanks

sin(θ[itex]^{2}[/itex]) ≠ sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)

Be careful where you put the exponents when using trig functions. It makes a difference for integrating and differentiating as well.

sorry wrong piece of paper.

Please look at this new attachment and inform me of my error

Attachments

• tute3q2c_small.jpg
    tute3q2c_small.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 415
You forgot the arbitrary constant.

nothing wrong with the u-substitution and integration, however on the right side toward the bottom of your page, one step reads:

1/w = 2/(cos(Θ2)) + C

What I suggest:

1). ALWAYS isolate the function variable first (in this case w(Θ)) before solving for the arbitrary constant (in this case C).

In other words - rather than what it reads now: 1/w(Θ) = ...

rearrange the equation such that it reads w(Θ) = ...

THEN solve with the initial value w(0) = 1

2). AlSO (and more importantly) keep in mind that any value multiplied by an arbitrary constant is still the value of the arbitrary constant (e.g. 2 * C = C)

So putting these two suggestions together, rewrite 1/w = 2/(cos(Θ2)) + C such that it reads 1/w(Θ) = ... then one ENTIRE fraction. Then flip the fractions on either side so that it reads w(Θ) = ...

THEN solve with the initial condition w(0) = 1.

hope this helps

Last edited:

Related to Solving an Initial Value Problem with a Sinusoidal Differential Equation

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy a given set of conditions. These conditions typically involve specifying the value of the function at a specific point, known as the initial value, and the relationship between the function and its derivatives at that point.

2. What is the purpose of an initial value problem?

The purpose of an initial value problem is to determine the behavior of a system or process over time. This is done by finding the function or set of functions that describe the system or process, given the initial conditions. Initial value problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and predict the behavior of systems.

3. What are some common methods for solving initial value problems?

There are several methods for solving initial value problems, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and series solutions, as well as numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. Are initial value problems only used in mathematical modeling?

No, initial value problems are used in many fields, not just mathematical modeling. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other areas to make predictions and analyze systems and processes. In fact, initial value problems are one of the most fundamental concepts in applied mathematics.

5. How do initial value problems relate to boundary value problems?

Initial value problems and boundary value problems are closely related. While initial value problems involve specifying the value of a function at a single point, boundary value problems involve specifying the values of a function at multiple points. In some cases, an initial value problem can be converted to a boundary value problem by adding additional constraints on the function. Both types of problems are important in various applications and are often solved using similar methods.