Initial Velocity of a dropped object problem

In summary, there is confusion about the concept of initial velocity when dropping or throwing an object. When an object is dropped, its velocity is initially 0 and increases by 9.8 m/s every second. However, when an object is thrown, its velocity is initially >0 because of the acceleration provided, which starts its motion. This is why the initial velocity is considered 0 for a dropped object and >0 for a thrown object.
sinchan
Why we take initial velocity of dropped object downwards as 0 and 25m/s when the object is thrown 25m/s upwards ?

What is then initial velocity cause when t=0 both object dropping and moving upwards had 0 velocity - in other words when object came to motion at both places it had some velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
sinchan said:
Why we take initial velocity of dropped object downwards as 0 and 25m/s when the object is thrown 25m/s upwards ?

What is then initial velocity cause when t=0 both object dropping and moving upwards had 0 velocity - in other words when object came to motion at both places it had some velocity?
Are you saying that, when you throw a ball, its velocity is zero when it leaves your hand? And, when you drop a ball, its velocity isn't zero when it leaves your hand?

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that, when you throw a ball, its velocity is zero when it leaves your hand? And, when you drop a ball, its velocity isn't zero when it leaves your hand?

I can state better when I understand initial velocity - for me when object is dropped from height or thrown with a velocity upwards both of them has velocity zero when it is in hand but both of them have a velocity when it leaves the hand - but then I am not sure when do we measure initial velocity - when it is in hand or when it just started its moion - so when it is in hand for both case initial velocity is 0 and when it started its motion both of them have a velocity - so why we say that initial velocity of object dropped is 0 while 25 m/s when object is thrown upwards as in my example

sinchan said:
I can state better when I understand initial velocity - for me when object is dropped from height or thrown with a velocity upwards both of them has velocity zero when it is in hand but both of them have a velocity when it leaves the hand - but then I am not sure when do we measure initial velocity - when it is in hand or when it just started its moion - so when it is in hand for both case initial velocity is 0 and when it started its motion both of them have a velocity
This is not correct. When you throw something, the velocity of the object just before it leaves your hand is the same as its velocity just after it leaves your hand (>0). And when you drop something, its velocity just before it leaves your hand is the same as its velocity just after it leaves your hand (=0).

i understand your confusion...When you drop a ball, its velocity increases by every second.It becomes 9.8 m/s 1 second after leaving your hand.However, when you throw a ball, the only reason the ball goes out from your hand is because your provided it with acceleration, which caused it to have a velocity, which started its motion, hence its "initial" velocity. When you dropped the ball, the velocity at which the "downwards" motion of ball started is 0 m/s...
Hope this helps

What is the initial velocity of a dropped object problem?

The initial velocity of a dropped object problem refers to the speed at which an object begins to fall due to the force of gravity. This is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is the initial velocity of a dropped object calculated?

The initial velocity of a dropped object can be calculated using the equation v0 = √(2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 or 32 ft/s^2), and h is the height from which the object is dropped.

Does the initial velocity of a dropped object change during its fall?

Yes, the initial velocity of a dropped object will change as it falls due to the acceleration of gravity. As the object falls, its velocity will increase until it reaches its terminal velocity, which occurs when the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity.

How does air resistance affect the initial velocity of a dropped object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a falling object. As the object falls, air resistance increases until it reaches its terminal velocity. This means that the initial velocity of a dropped object will decrease as air resistance increases.

What factors can affect the initial velocity of a dropped object?

The initial velocity of a dropped object can be affected by the height from which it is dropped, the mass and shape of the object, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors, such as air temperature and air density, can also play a role in the initial velocity of a dropped object.