Inner automorphisms (need clarification)

• Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to prove that the set of inner automorphisms is a normal subgroup of the group of all automorphisms of a group G under function composition. This can be shown by demonstrating closure, identity element, and invertibility, as well as the fact that every left coset is a right coset.
bennyska

Homework Statement

Show that the inner automorphisms of a group G form a normal subgroup of the group of all automorphisms of G under function composition.

Homework Equations

in the previous problem, i showed that all automorphisms of a group G form a group under function composition

The Attempt at a Solution

so i need help understanding the question. in the previous problem, assuming i did it correctly, i let A be the set of all automorphisms and showed it was a group in G. in this problem, am i to let say I be the set of all inner automorphisms and show it is a normal subgroup of A?

here is my previous proof.

: Claim: All automorphisms of a group G form a group under function composition.
Proof: Let A be the set of automorphisms of a group G, and let μ(g) and σ(g) be in A, with g in G. Since μ(g) and σ(g) are automorphisms, it follows that the mapping of μ(g)◦σ(g) defined as μ(σ(g)) is closed under function composition.
Let λ(g) be in A. Then
(μ(g)◦σ(g))◦λ(g) = μ(σ(g))◦λ(g)
= μ(g)◦σ(g)◦λ(g)
= μ(g)◦(σ(g)◦λ(g))
so A is associative.
Consider μ:G→G such that μ(g) = g. Then μ is the identity.
Consider σ:G→G such that σ(g) = a. Now consider λ:G→G such that λ(a) = g. Then σ(λ(a)) = σ(g) = a, and λ is the inverse of σ.
Since A is the set of automorphisms of G, it follows that for any σ in A, then σ is homomorphic. Hence, the set of automorphisms of a group G forms a group under function composition.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to show that the set of inner automorphisms is a normal subgroup of the group of automorphisms of G.
An inner automorphism is a specific type of automorphism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_automorphism, so it is natural that it will form a subset. If you've already shown that the set of automorphisms on group G is a group, then you have already showed closure (under function composition).

You are correct in showing the identity element, but you haven't used the specific property of conjugation that is the defining property of your set of inner automorphisms. You must show invertibility to show it is a subgroup and then that every left coset is a right coset, to show it's normal.

What are inner automorphisms?

Inner automorphisms are a type of automorphism in abstract algebra that maps an object to itself by using an internal structure or "inner" operation. In simpler terms, it is a transformation of an object that preserves its internal structure.

How do inner automorphisms differ from other types of automorphisms?

Inner automorphisms are distinguished from other types of automorphisms by the fact that they use the internal structure of an object to perform the transformation, rather than an external operation. This means that the resulting object will have the same structure as the original, just in a different configuration.

What is the purpose of studying inner automorphisms?

Studying inner automorphisms can provide insight into the fundamental properties and structures of abstract algebraic systems. They also have important applications in fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science.

How are inner automorphisms related to conjugation?

Inner automorphisms and conjugation are closely related concepts. In fact, every inner automorphism can be represented as a conjugation by some element in the group. This makes conjugation a useful tool for studying inner automorphisms.

Can inner automorphisms be used to classify groups?

Yes, inner automorphisms can be used as a tool for classifying groups into different categories based on their internal structures. This can help to identify patterns and relationships between different groups and aid in understanding their properties and behaviors.