Inner product as integral, orthonormal basis

In summary, the practice problem asks for an orthonormal basis of P2 with respect to a given inner product, and the solution involves using Gram-Schmidt on a predetermined basis. The specific choice of basis does not affect the overall process.
hocuspocus102

Homework Statement

Define an inner product on P2 by <f,g> = integral from 0 to 1 of f(x)g(x)dx. find an orthonormal basis of P2 with respect to this inner product.

Homework Equations

So this is a practice problem and it gives me the answer I just don't understand where it came from. It says, "We first find a basis of P2 then use Gram-Schmidt to create an orthonormal basis. Fix a basis B = {f1(x) = 1, f2(x) = x - 1/2, f3(x) = (x-1/2)2}." then it goes on to use Gram-Schmidt which I understand. I just don't get where the basis came from, if anyone can explain. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hocuspocus102 said:

Homework Statement

Define an inner product on P2 by <f,g> = integral from 0 to 1 of f(x)g(x)dx. find an orthonormal basis of P2 with respect to this inner product.

Homework Equations

So this is a practice problem and it gives me the answer I just don't understand where it came from. It says, "We first find a basis of P2 then use Gram-Schmidt to create an orthonormal basis. Fix a basis B = {f1(x) = 1, f2(x) = x - 1/2, f3(x) = (x-1/2)2}." then it goes on to use Gram-Schmidt which I understand. I just don't get where the basis came from, if anyone can explain. Thanks!
The standard basis for P2 would be {1, x, x2}, but there are many possible bases, and they just came up with a different one. As long as there are three functions that are linearly independent, the set is a basis, so where it came from shouldn't be a concern. Just take it as a given, and proceed with Gram-Schmidt to find an orthogonal basis, and then normalize each function.

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as an output. It is used to measure the angle between two vectors and the length of a vector.

2. How is inner product related to integration?

An inner product can be represented as an integral, where the integral of the product of two functions is used to calculate the inner product of two vectors. This is known as the integral inner product or the continuous inner product.

3. What is an orthonormal basis?

An orthonormal basis is a set of vectors that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a length of 1. This means that the inner product of any two vectors in the basis is 0, and the inner product of a vector with itself is 1.

4. How is an inner product used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the inner product is used to define the concept of orthogonality and to calculate the length of a vector. It is also used to define the concept of projection, where a vector is decomposed into its components along a given set of basis vectors.

5. Why is the concept of an inner product important?

The inner product is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows for the measurement of angles and lengths in vector spaces and helps in solving problems related to linear transformations and projections.