1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner Product Proof - Verify on L2[-1,1]

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question has two parts, and I did the first part already I think.

If B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for V, and
    ##v = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i##
    and ##w = \sum_{i=1}^n b_i u_i##

Show ##<v,w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* = b^{*T}a##

Here's how I did it:

##<v,w> = <\sum_{i=1}^n a_i u_i , w> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i<u_i , w>##
    ## = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^* <u_i , u_i> = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^*##
    Thus proved... however in class he mentioned ##a_i = <v,u_i >## for doing this but I'm not sure how... I've tried to examine it but I can't seem to justify it. And I think I did the proof without that, since <v,aw> = a*<v,w>

Second part of the question, where I'm confused, is, verbatim:

Verify ##V = L^2 [-1,1]##, where B is the set of orthonormal Legendre polynomials,

##p_0 (x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##
    ##p_1 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}x##
    ##p_2 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{5}{8}}(3x^2 -1)##

and v,w are replaced by ##x-x^2## and ##12+x-3x^2##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not really sure where to start... he mentioned a_i = <v, u_i > in class but I don't really feel comfortable with using that here because I don't understand how that's true. ( I feel like it's really simple, and that's why it's bothering me so much) If somebody could point me in the right direction as to why that expression is true, I could probably finish the question..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write ##u(x) =x-x^2## and ##v(x) = 12 + x - 3x^3## as constant-coefficient linear combinations of ##p_0(x), p_1(x), p_2(x)##. You can do it using your instructor's hint, or you can do it for ##u(x)## the hard way, by getting three equations for ##a_0, a_1,a_2## from the identities ##u(x) = a_0 p_0(x) + a_1 p_1(x) + a_2 p_2(x) \; \forall x##. Do the same type of thing for ##v(x)##. Then, if you want to, you can verify explicitly that ##a_i = \langle u,p_i \rangle##, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted