Inquiry into the origin of parametric equations.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding information on the origin of parametric equations, as they have been in use for a long time before they were given a specific name. The person is hoping for someone to guide them in the right direction for more information.
captpetorius
I'm trying to find information on the origin of parametric equations. Such as who developed them, and around what time. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information, beyond the basics of what parametric equations are. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are going to be able to find such information. It goes too far back and people were using "parametric" equations long before that name was used. As soon as people started using separate equations for the different coordinates of a moving object they were using "parametric equations".

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between two variables in a system. In these equations, one variable is typically represented as a function of another variable, and both variables are expressed as independent parameters.

2. Why are parametric equations used?

Parametric equations are often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific disciplines to describe the motion or behavior of a system. They are also useful for graphing complex curves and surfaces.

3. How are parametric equations different from standard equations?

Unlike standard equations, which typically have one variable on each side of the equal sign, parametric equations have multiple variables on one side and a set of parameters on the other. This allows for a more flexible representation of a system's behavior.

4. What is the origin of parametric equations?

The origin of parametric equations can be traced back to the 17th century, when French mathematician René Descartes introduced the Cartesian coordinate system. This system, which uses two perpendicular axes to represent points in a plane, laid the groundwork for the development of parametric equations.

5. How are parametric equations used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing roller coasters, modeling projectile motion, and predicting the behavior of electronic circuits. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic images and animations.