Learn How to Easily Insert Images on LaTeX | Helpful Tips and Tricks

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Juggler123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images Latex
In summary: Thank you, I appreciate it.In summary, you need to convert a .gif file into a format that your LaTeX engine understands, copy the converted file to your document directory, and add a \usepackage{graphicx} directive to the header of your .tex file and a \includegraphics{imagefile} in the appropriate place of the body of your .tex file.
Juggler123
Hi,
I know this isn't a general math problem but I didn't really know where else to post.
I'm trying to insert an image into a text I'm wrtting on LaTeX, the file is saved in .gif format in My Documents. I've read a little on the web about how I should insert the image into my text but I can't really make sense of it! Any help would be really great.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you are going to need to convert that .gif file into a form that your LaTeX engine understands: .pdf, .png, or .jpg (assuming you are using pdflatex as your engine). Copy the converted file to your document directory, aka folder. (You can also place it in subdirectory of your document directory.) I'm going to assume you named it imagefile.png. Substitute accordingly for your file name. Add a \usepackage{graphicx} directive to the header of your .tex file and a \includegraphics{imagefile} in the appropriate place of the body of your .tex file, and voila! there is your image in your pdf file.

It is almost certainly better to make your graphics figures (floats). Read up on how to place figures in your LaTeX file.

Thanks!

Got another problem now,
I'm trying to type a double integral into my work but it keeps coming up with an error message.

\begin{equation}
M(x)=\iint y\cdot\sigma(x,y) dy dz
\end{equation}

To me this looks right!? I don't understand what is going wrong.
Any help would be great!

The command is cdots, not cdot.

Tried that but I keep getting the same error message...

Works for me:

[tex]
M(x)=\iint y\cdots\sigma(x,y) dy dz
[/tex]So what is the error message?

cdot is a legit command and perhaps what the OP wants. It works on this board:

[tex]\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
[/tex]

On this board maybe he forgot the tex tags.

Thank you for this thread, I have been wanting do just this for some while.

:cool:

LCKurtz; that's exactly what I want but even when I copy and paste the formula into my work it still comes up with this error meassge;

[2]
! Undefined control sequence.
l.80 M(x)=\iint
y\cdot\sigma(x,y) dy dz
?

This is starting to get annoying now! I just can't figure it out...

That complaint is about iint, not cdot. iint is not part of the base LaTeX set of macros. It is defined in the amsmath package.

Add \usepackage{amsmath} to your prologue.

Brilliant! Thankyou

Juggler123 said:
Got another problem now,
I'm trying to type a double integral into my work but it keeps coming up with an error message.

\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

To me this looks right!? I don't understand what is going wrong.
Any help would be great!
After surrounding the corrected equation with tex tags, here's how it looks:
[tex]\begin{equation}
M(x)=\iint y \cdot \sigma(x,y) dy dz
\end{equation}
[/tex]

Edit: Didn't realize that I was restating what LCKurtz already said.

Last edited:

1. How do I insert an image on LaTeX?

To insert an image on LaTeX, you can use the command \includegraphics{image_file} and specify the file name of the image you want to insert. Make sure to also include the \usepackage{graphicx} package in your document preamble.

2. Can I resize the image on LaTeX?

Yes, you can resize the image by adding optional arguments to the \includegraphics command. For example, \includegraphics[width=3cm]{image_file} will resize the image to a width of 3cm. You can also use other units of measurement such as inches or pixels.

3. How do I align the image on LaTeX?

You can use the \begin{center} and \end{center} commands to center the image. You can also use the \begin{flushleft} and \end{flushleft} or \begin{flushright} and \end{flushright} commands to align the image to the left or right, respectively.

4. Can I add a caption to the image on LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a caption to the image by using the \caption{Your caption here} command after the \includegraphics command. You can also label the image using the \label{fig:label_name} command and reference it in your document using \ref{fig:label_name}.

5. Can I insert multiple images in one figure on LaTeX?

Yes, you can insert multiple images in one figure using the \subfigure command. You can specify the width of each subfigure and arrange them horizontally or vertically. Make sure to use the \usepackage{subcaption} package in your document preamble.