1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installed Solaris 10

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1

-Job-

Science Advisor

I downloaded & installed Solaris 10 on an x86 machine and it simply doesn't work. It seems to boot up and reach the User login screen. I try to login as root, since i haven't created any users yet, and it just proceeds to a black screen, from which it doesn't exit. I've only installed Solaris for curiosity, so it's not really a big deal, but i'm a little disappointed.
    Actually, it may be because i have two video cards and it switches video cards on me. Let me verfiy that possibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2
    It often happens in Solaris and Linux. Either your machine cannot respond to them, or it's a bug or there's a problem in what you downloaded. If you downloaded it from the official site it's not that but if you didn't then you'll have to redownload it!!!

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I think the resolution/refresh rate is not configured correctly. When the screen goes black press: CTRL+ALT+F1 to see if you drop down to the console. If you can do that i'll explain how to change your settings.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

Solaris does not support virtual terminals, although there is a project to add this support.

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

You've stated your problem in a very vague manner. I assume that you've installed Solaris 10 (hopefully, Solaris 10 Update 1, rather than GA). You can tell if you're using Solaris 10 Update 1 or not by seeing if you're using Grub to boot Solaris. If so, append a -s to the 'kernel' line in your Grub configuration. This will boot you into single-user mode, and you can setup X11 correctly.

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6

-Job-

Science Advisor

Right, i haven't had much time to play around with it yet. The screen doesn't go completely black. There's some little green lines all over the screen, like a vector field, and the computer doesn't seem to respond. I know i'm being vague but i haven't had the time to try to resolve this issue so i'm only commenting on this right now. I'll post more about it once i have the time, thanks for the suggestions.

8. May 1, 2006 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Have you tried pinging the IP address after you see the "green lines" that you assigned the system during install-time from another system on your network?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?