Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installed Solaris 10

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1

-Job-

Science Advisor

I downloaded & installed Solaris 10 on an x86 machine and it simply doesn't work. It seems to boot up and reach the User login screen. I try to login as root, since i haven't created any users yet, and it just proceeds to a black screen, from which it doesn't exit. I've only installed Solaris for curiosity, so it's not really a big deal, but i'm a little disappointed.
    Actually, it may be because i have two video cards and it switches video cards on me. Let me verfiy that possibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2
    It often happens in Solaris and Linux. Either your machine cannot respond to them, or it's a bug or there's a problem in what you downloaded. If you downloaded it from the official site it's not that but if you didn't then you'll have to redownload it!!!

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I think the resolution/refresh rate is not configured correctly. When the screen goes black press: CTRL+ALT+F1 to see if you drop down to the console. If you can do that i'll explain how to change your settings.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

Solaris does not support virtual terminals, although there is a project to add this support.

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

You've stated your problem in a very vague manner. I assume that you've installed Solaris 10 (hopefully, Solaris 10 Update 1, rather than GA). You can tell if you're using Solaris 10 Update 1 or not by seeing if you're using Grub to boot Solaris. If so, append a -s to the 'kernel' line in your Grub configuration. This will boot you into single-user mode, and you can setup X11 correctly.

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6

-Job-

Science Advisor

Right, i haven't had much time to play around with it yet. The screen doesn't go completely black. There's some little green lines all over the screen, like a vector field, and the computer doesn't seem to respond. I know i'm being vague but i haven't had the time to try to resolve this issue so i'm only commenting on this right now. I'll post more about it once i have the time, thanks for the suggestions.

8. May 1, 2006 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Have you tried pinging the IP address after you see the "green lines" that you assigned the system during install-time from another system on your network?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?