Instantaneous acceleration/ velocity

In summary, instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the second derivative of the position function with respect to time. This can be remembered by keeping in mind that velocity is in meters per second and acceleration is in meters per second squared, with time always in the denominator.
lylek
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I was just hoping somebody could explain instantaneous acceleration to me a bit better than my prof did. I know that we take dv / dt. But I am just having trouble applying it. Does this mean that I am putting the derivative x's position equation on top? and say we are looking at t = 3s, what does d (3) mean.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this mean that I am putting the derivative x's position equation on top?
What do you mean with that?

If you know the x-position as function of time (x(t)), you can calculate the derivative v(t) - the velocity.
Now, you can calculate the derivative of v(t), and this is the acceleration a(t).

lylek said:
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I was just hoping somebody could explain instantaneous acceleration to me a bit better than my prof did. I know that we take dv / dt. But I am just having trouble applying it. Does this mean that I am putting the derivative x's position equation on top? and say we are looking at t = 3s, what does d (3) mean.

Thanks for any help.

If you are using x(t) to mean the position of the object at time t, then the velocity is given by v= dx/dt and the acceleration is a= dv/dt= d^2x/dt^2, the second derivative of x with respect to t. If, by "position on top" you mean that you have trouble remembering if v= dx/dt or dt/dx, it might help you to remember that velocity , v, is "meters per second" or m/s and acceleration, a, is "meters per second squared" or m/s^2 so the time is always in the denominator.

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. It is the acceleration of an object at a particular instant, rather than an average acceleration over a period of time.

How is instantaneous acceleration calculated?

Instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of velocity with respect to time. In other words, it is the change in velocity divided by the change in time at a specific instant.

What is the difference between instantaneous acceleration and average acceleration?

The main difference between these two types of acceleration is the time interval over which they are calculated. Instantaneous acceleration is calculated at a specific moment, while average acceleration is calculated over a period of time. Additionally, instantaneous acceleration takes into account any changes in velocity, while average acceleration only considers the overall change in velocity.

How is instantaneous velocity related to instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous velocity and instantaneous acceleration are closely related. Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of position at a specific moment, while instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at that same moment. In other words, acceleration is the derivative of velocity, just as velocity is the derivative of position.

What factors can affect instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration can be affected by various factors, including the net force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and any external forces or friction. In addition, changes in velocity or direction can also impact instantaneous acceleration.