Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous acceleration/ velocity

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, first time poster.

I was just hoping somebody could explain instantaneous acceleration to me a bit better than my prof did. I know that we take dv / dt. But I am just having trouble applying it. Does this mean that I am putting the derivative x's position equation on top? and say we are looking at t = 3s, what does d (3) mean.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with that?

If you know the x-position as function of time (x(t)), you can calculate the derivative v(t) - the velocity.
    Now, you can calculate the derivative of v(t), and this is the acceleration a(t).

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are using x(t) to mean the position of the object at time t, then the velocity is given by v= dx/dt and the acceleration is a= dv/dt= d^2x/dt^2, the second derivative of x with respect to t. If, by "position on top" you mean that you have trouble remembering if v= dx/dt or dt/dx, it might help you to remember that velocity , v, is "meters per second" or m/s and acceleration, a, is "meters per second squared" or m/s^2 so the time is always in the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook