1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous power as a function of time

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If v(t) = t - 4 and i(t) = 3t, find the instantaneous power p(t) as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    p(t) = ∫ v(t)*i(t) dt
    p(t) = ∫ (t-4)*(3t) dt

Is it correct to do this? Or am I supposed to take the derivative of the functions v(t) and i(t) first and then multiply them and take the integral? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Usually power is defined as ##p(t) = v(t) i(t)##. In a more general sense ##p(t) = \frac{dW(t)}{dt}## where ##W(t)## is the work function.

4. Aug 21, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you want to bring calculus into it? Power is voltage times current. P = V * I, which in this case is P(t) = V(t) * I(t)

EDIT: I see zondrina beat me to it.

5. Aug 21, 2015 #4
    So I don't need to integrate? I was just using a formula that I found in my notes.

6. Aug 21, 2015 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

No integration is required. Perhaps what you are referring to is the change in energy:

$$\Delta W = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} p(t) \space dt = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} v(t) i(t) \space dt$$

7. Aug 21, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Using forumlae without understanding them is a terrible idea. Forget the forumlae. Focus on the concepts.

In specific answer to your question, re-read post #3

EDIT: HA ... again zondrina beat me to it.

8. Aug 21, 2015 #7
    Yeah thats the one!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted