Instantaneous velocity electron

In summary: you're confusing the velocity with the position. the velocity is the first derivative of the position, so you have to take the derivative of the position equation and set it equal to zero, then solve for t. so starting with the original position equation, x(t) = 19t e^-4t, you have to take the derivative using the product rule and then set that equal to zero. x'(t) = 19e^-4t + 19t (-4t) e^-4t, which simplifies to x'(t) = 19e^-4t (1 - 4t). now set that equal to zero and solve for t. 19e^-4t (1 -
jpd5184

Homework Statement

an electron moving along the x-axis has a position given by x=19te^-4t m, where t is in seconds. how far is the electron from the origin when it momentarily stops.

Homework Equations

velocty=delta x / delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

i think its a instantaneous velocity question but I am not sure. i think you have to take the derivative of the equation. If somebody could just head me in the right direction then i could attempt to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jpd5184 said:
i think its a instantaneous velocity question but I am not sure. i think you have to take the derivative of the equation.
So far, so good. Keep going.

so would the derivative of by x=19te^-4t m be:

-4(19te)^-3 which would be 76te^-3.

so i think i know what I am doing this far but I am not sure what the question is asking when it says
"how far is the electron from the origin when it momentarily stops."

how do i know the time when it momentarily stops. i mean if i know the time i can just substitute the time in for t and solve the equation to get the answer.

jpd5184 said:
so would the derivative of by x=19te^-4t m be:

-4(19te)^-3 which would be 76te^-3.
Not exactly. Hint: You'll need the product rule. (I assume the expression is 19t e-4t.)
how do i know the time when it momentarily stops. i mean if i know the time i can just substitute the time in for t and solve the equation to get the answer.
Hint: What's the speed when it 'momentarily stops'? Use that to solve for the time.

Hint: What's the speed when it 'momentarily stops'? Use that to solve for the time.[/QUOTE]

im guessing it would be zero.and there is no gap in between the 19t and the e^-4t. its just one whole expression.

jpd5184 said:
im guessing it would be zero.
Exactly.
and there is no gap in between the 19t and the e^-4t. its just one whole expression.
Right. I wrote it with a gap for clarity, so the t and e wouldn't blur together. Redo your derivative.

Doc Al included the gap to make it clear that you need to use the product rule

using the product rule i got.

f(x)= 19t
g(x)= e^-4t

so would it be (im not sure of the derivative of e^-4t)

19e^-4t + 19te^-4t

Have to use the chain rule with e^(-4t)

Your answer is incorrect but close

using the chain rule i got the derivative of e^-4t to be ln(t)t^4

f(y)=e^4
g(x)=-4ln(t)

(ln(t))e^-4ln(t)
(ln(t))t^4

To use the chain rule you need to view the function, g(t) = e^-4t, in two parts like this:
g(u) = e^u, with u(t)=-4t

then using the chain rule to to get the derivative of g(t), dg/dt, means using this rule:
dg/dt = dg/du * du/dt

sorry but I am not really great at calculus, since I am biology major.

don't really know what u mean or what to do to use the chain rule.

well let's do it step by step, what is the derivative of:
e^u

not sure what u is but:

ln u

I just used 'u' here instead of the usual 'x'. It was meant to be the same question as "what is the derivative of e^x".

The derivative of a function is: the change of the value of the function per change in its variable.

So the "derivative of e^u", means the change of e^u per change in u.

For simple functions like f(x)=3x, it is clear that the change of f(x) per change in x is 3. since whenever x change by 1, f(x) changes by 3.

The notation I used above for the derivative of f(x) was df/dx, which you could read as "the change of f(x) per change in x", which is also often written as f'(x).

Anyway, for some functions the derivative is not immediately clear and you may just need to know what it is. The function f(x) = e^x, is a very special function because its derivative, df/dx or f'(x) is simply equal to the function itself.

gerben said:
To use the chain rule you need to view the function, g(t) = e^-4t, in two parts like this:

then using the chain rule to to get the derivative of g(t), dg/dt, means using this rule:
dg/dt = dg/du * du/dt

so the derivative of g(u)=e^u is just e

and the derivative of u(t)=-4t is -4

so using the chainrule here you would get the derivative of g(t) as
g'(u) * u'(t)

I already told you that g'(u)=g(u) so that is just e^u=e^-4t.

now you just need to multiply this by the derivative of u(t)=-4t

jpd5184 said:
so the derivative of g(u)=e^u is just e

and the derivative of u(t)=-4t is -4

the derivative of g(u)=e^u is e^u, the derivative of u(t) is correct

jpd5184 said:

Homework Statement

an electron moving along the x-axis has a position given by x=19te^-4t m, where t is in seconds. how far is the electron from the origin when it momentarily stops.

The particle stops when the velocity is zero. The velocity function is the time derivative of the position function.

the derivative of the time function is (e^-4t)(-4t). so all i did was plug 0 in for t and i got my answer to be 0. but that's wrong, why?

The derivative of the position function is not correct, you were going in the right direction here in an earlier post:
jpd5184 said:
using the product rule i got.

f(x)= 19t
g(x)= e^-4t

so would it be (im not sure of the derivative of e^-4t)

19e^-4t + 19te^-4t

It is just the second term that is not correct here, it is not 19te^-4t, it should be the 19t times the derivative of e^-4t

so it would be:

19e^-4t + 19te

which would be:

19e^-4(0) + 19te =

19 + 19(0)e = 19 + 0 = 0

Last edited:
jpd5184 said:
so it would be:

19e^-4t + 19te
No.

x = (19t)(e-4t)

What's the derivative of (19t)?

What's the derivative of (e-4t)? (You need the chain rule here.)

Combine these using the product rule.

(-4 log e) / e^4t

then would i plug 0 in for t

jpd5184 said:
(-4 log e) / e^4t

then would i plug 0 in for t
:confused:

Answer the questions I asked in my last post.

Doc Al said:
No.

x = (19t)(e-4t)

What's the derivative of (19t)?

What's the derivative of (e-4t)? (You need the chain rule here.)

Combine these using the product rule.

the derivative of 19t is 19 but I am not sure the derivative of e^-4t, sorry but I am struggling.

jpd5184 said:
the derivative of 19t is 19 but I am not sure the derivative of e^-4t, sorry but I am struggling.
OK.

Let f = e^g
Let g = -4t

df/dg = e^g (This is a key fact about the exponential function: its derivative equals itself. Memorize it!)

What's dg/dt?

Using the chain rule, what's df/dt? (Which will be the derivative of e^-4t.)

Hint: df/dt = (df/dg)(dg/dt)

thanks for everybody trying to help me but i really don't understand the derivation process.

1. What is instantaneous velocity of an electron?

The instantaneous velocity of an electron refers to its speed and direction at a particular point in time. It is a measure of how fast the electron is moving and in which direction it is moving at a specific moment.

2. How is instantaneous velocity of an electron different from average velocity?

The average velocity of an electron is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at a specific moment, whereas average velocity is the overall velocity over a period of time.

3. What factors affect the instantaneous velocity of an electron?

The instantaneous velocity of an electron is affected by various factors, including electric field strength, magnetic field strength, and temperature. Changes in these factors can cause the velocity to increase or decrease.

4. How is the instantaneous velocity of an electron measured?

The instantaneous velocity of an electron can be measured using various techniques, such as time-of-flight measurements, velocity mapping spectroscopy, and electron energy loss spectroscopy.

5. Why is the instantaneous velocity of an electron important in scientific research?

The instantaneous velocity of an electron is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in different environments. It is also crucial in the development of new technologies, such as semiconductors and transistors, which rely on the precise control of electron velocity.