How Far Ahead Should You Monitor for Obstacles When Controlling a Mars Rover?

In summary, when controlling the Mars rover from NASA 2.0 x 10^8 km away, you must be aware that the communication delay between Earth and Mars is approximately 667.13 seconds. This means that what you see in the video feed is 22.24 m behind the actual position of the rover. Therefore, if you see a cliff and want to stop, you must watch out for it 22.24 m ahead in the rover's field of view.
Manh
You sit at NASA to control the Mars rover across the Martian surface 2.0 x 10^8 km away. The communication travels at the speed of light between Earth and Mars, and the rover's top speed is 2.0 m/min. How far ahead in the rover's field of view you have to watch out for a Martian cliff?

My first attempt was converting km to m to start the problem.

Can anyone guide me how to solve the problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Manh said:
My first attempt was converting km to m to start the problem.
That's a start.
You have a distance in metres and a velocity in m/s (speed of light) what is the travel time of communication?

Is speed of light 299 792 458 m/s? If so, I would take 2.0 x 10^11 m divide by 299 792 458 m/s.

Correct.
You have the communication delay time, now what?
What are you trying to find?

I would convert my communication time (approximately about 667.13 s) to minute. From there, I multiply my min value by 2.0 m/min to get distance of rover traveled.

Correct.

I have 22.24 m for distance of rover. What else do I need to complete the problem?

Apply some common sense.
What you see in the video feed is 22.24 m behind the actual position. If you see a cliff and want to stop you'll travel 22.24 m before the 'stop' signal is received by the rover.
With that in mind:
How far ahead in the rover's field of view you have to watch out for a Martian cliff?

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific point in time. It is the velocity of an object at a single moment, as opposed to its average velocity over a period of time.

How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. It can also be approximated by finding the slope of a tangent line on a position-time graph at a specific point.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides information about an object's velocity at a particular point.

Why is instantaneous velocity important in science and engineering?

Instantaneous velocity is important because it allows us to understand the motion of objects at any given moment. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and kinematics, to analyze and predict the behavior of moving objects.

How does instantaneous velocity relate to acceleration?

Instantaneous velocity and acceleration are closely related, as acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, acceleration is the derivative of an object's velocity function with respect to time. Instantaneous velocity and acceleration are both important in understanding and describing an object's motion.