1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous velocity

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    You sit at NASA to control the Mars rover across the Martian surface 2.0 x 10^8 km away. The communication travels at the speed of light between Earth and Mars, and the rover's top speed is 2.0 m/min. How far ahead in the rover's field of view you have to watch out for a Martian cliff?

My first attempt was converting km to m to start the problem.

Can anyone guide me how to solve the problem? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

That's a start.
    You have a distance in metres and a velocity in m/s (speed of light) what is the travel time of communication?

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3
    Is speed of light 299 792 458 m/s? If so, I would take 2.0 x 10^11 m divide by 299 792 458 m/s.

5. Sep 1, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Correct.
    You have the communication delay time, now what?
    What are you trying to find?

6. Sep 1, 2015 #5
    I would convert my communication time (approximately about 667.13 s) to minute. From there, I multiply my min value by 2.0 m/min to get distance of rover traveled.

7. Sep 1, 2015 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Correct.

8. Sep 1, 2015 #7
    I have 22.24 m for distance of rover. What else do I need to complete the problem?

9. Sep 1, 2015 #8

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Apply some common sense.
    What you see in the video feed is 22.24 m behind the actual position. If you see a cliff and want to stop you'll travel 22.24 m before the 'stop' signal is received by the rover.
    With that in mind:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted