Integrating Inverse Trigonometric Functions: How to Solve for 1/(sin^2x)?

• Thread starter Geekchick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of 1/sin^2(x) and the attempt to use trigonometric substitution to solve it. The individuals discuss potential errors and solutions, ultimately coming to the conclusion that the correct integral is -sqrt(25-x^2)/25x + C.
Geekchick

Homework Statement

25[tex]\int\frac{1}{sin^{2}x}[/tex]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure if I could change [tex]\frac{1}{sin^{2}x}[/tex] to Csc[tex]^{2}[/tex]x but when I did I ended up with -25Cotx which when I checked the integral in my calculator and it was wrong. So now I'm lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, the original problem was [tex]\int\frac{1}{x^{2}\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}[/tex]dx I used trigonometric substitution to get to the problem above.

Well in an online integral table I found that [tex]\int \csc^2 ax dx = -\frac{1}{a} \cot ax + C[/tex] so you should probably come up with [tex]-\frac{cot(25x)}{25} + C[/tex].

-25Cot(x) is the integral of 25/sin^2(x), you can check it by computing the derivative.

Well did I go wrong before I got to the sin integral? because when I checked it against the original problem it didn't match.

Oh I did catch that it should be 1/25 not 25. But its still slightly off.

Judging from what you've shown us, you used the substitution x=5*sin(u) to reduce the integral to (1/25) times the integral (1/sIn(u)^2)*du. That's fine. So you've got -cot(u)/25 as the integral. You still have to express that in terms of x.

I substituted [tex]\frac{\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}{x}[/tex] for cot So what I end up with is -[tex]\frac{\sqrt{25-x^{2}}}{25x}[/tex]+c

That looks fine to me.

What is the formula for integrating (1/((sinx)^2))?

The formula for integrating (1/((sinx)^2)) is cotx + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the domain of the integrand (1/((sinx)^2))?

The domain of (1/((sinx)^2)) is all real numbers except for odd multiples of pi/2, since the denominator becomes zero at these points.

What is the antiderivative of (1/((sinx)^2))?

The antiderivative of (1/((sinx)^2)) is cotx + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the graph of the integrand (1/((sinx)^2))?

The graph of (1/((sinx)^2)) is a periodic function with vertical asymptotes at odd multiples of pi/2 and a horizontal asymptote at y=0.

What are some real-world applications of integrating (1/((sinx)^2))?

Some real-world applications of integrating (1/((sinx)^2)) include calculating the arc length of a curve, finding the area under a curve, and solving problems in physics and engineering involving periodic motion.