Solving Integer Questions: Showing x, y, and z are Even

• Thread starter garyljc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that x, y, and z are all even when given the equation x^3 + 2y^3 + 4z^3 = 0. It is suggested to use the fact that the cube of any even number is even and the cube of any odd number is odd. Additionally, it is mentioned that the cube of an even number is divisible by 8. Finally, it is noted that showing something is even involves proving it satisfies the definition of "even".
garyljc
i've come across a question thatr reads
x^3 + 2y^3 + 4z^3 =0
show that x y z are all even

part 2 requires to show that there are no such intergers

i have no idea at all how to show something is even
can anyone help please thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps if you know that the cube of any even number is even and the cube of any odd number is odd! Obviously, for any y and z, 2y^3+ 4z^3= 2(y^3+ 2z^3) is even. In order that x3 cancel that, x3 must be even.

But you can say more. The cube of an even number is divisible by 8: (2n)3= 8n3. So if x is even, what about 2(y3+ 2z3)? And then what about (y3+ 2z3)?

thanks for the hints !

Oh, and you show something is even by showing it satisfies the definition of "even": it is equal to 2n for some integer n.

got it ! =)

Related to Solving Integer Questions: Showing x, y, and z are Even

What is the definition of even numbers?

Even numbers are integers that are divisible by 2, resulting in a remainder of 0.

How can I prove that a number is even?

A number can be proven to be even by dividing it by 2 and checking if the remainder is 0. If the remainder is 0, then the number is even.

What is the significance of showing x, y, and z are even?

Showing x, y, and z are even is significant because it can help prove a larger mathematical problem. By showing that all three variables are even, it can lead to a more complex solution or proof.

Can I use any method to show x, y, and z are even?

Yes, there are multiple methods to show that x, y, and z are even. Some common methods include using the division rule for even numbers, using the fact that the sum of two even numbers is even, or using proof by contradiction.

Why is it important to solve integer questions?

Solving integer questions is important because it can help develop critical thinking skills and improve problem-solving abilities. It also has practical applications in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.