Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: If you make the substitution before doing the integral, you will see that it cancels out.In summary, the conversation is about checking an integration that was done using WolframAlpha. The integral in question was 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2)) dx. Multiple approaches were suggested, including using trigonometric and hyperbolic trigonometric substitutions. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a general integral to solve the problem.
alingy1
Could you please check this integration?

I get a different answer from WolframAlpha.

Integral of 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2)) dx

Look at picture please! I apologize for the other physiology information. I have no more clean scrap paper left.

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:

Look at picture please! I apologize for the other physiology information. I have no more clean scrap paper left.

So far as [tex]
\int \frac 1{\sqrt{84 + 16x + 4x^2}}\,dx = \frac14 \int \frac{2(x+2)}{(x + 2)\sqrt{(x+ 2)^2 + 17}}\,dx[/tex] I agree with your calculations. You now appear to substitute [itex]u = (x + 2)^2 + 17[/itex], with [itex]du = 2(x + 2)\,dx[/itex], from which you should obtain [tex]
\frac14 \int \frac{2(x+2)}{(x + 2)\sqrt{(x+ 2)^2 + 17}}\,dx = \frac14 \int \frac{1}{(x + 2)\sqrt{u}}\,du = \frac14 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u - 17}\sqrt{u}}\,du[/tex] rather than [tex]\frac14 \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u^2 + 17}}\,du[/tex] which is what you have.

It would have been better to substitute [itex]x + 2 = \sqrt{17} \sinh \theta[/itex] after completing the square in the denominator. The motivation for this is that [itex]\cosh^2 \theta = 1 + \sinh^2 \theta[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]\sinh \theta[/itex] is [itex]\cosh \theta[/itex]. You therefore end up with a constant integrand.

The issue here is when you do the u substitution and plug in your values for u. You should have written

##\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u-17}\sqrt{u}}du##

I wouldn't do u-substitution for this problem. Try doing trig substitution: ##x+2=\sqrt{17}\tan{\theta}##

Hi, I have never been introduced to those wild "sinh" functions! Let me get back to you after a few minutes of sweat.

Oh. I understand. Then, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation... Since, I cannot use sinh cosh etc.., I'm stuck with a trig sub.

Hmm. At which step should I do the trig sub?

alingy1 said:
Hmm. At which step should I do the trig sub?

The step after you complete the square in the denominator. If you haven't learned hyberbolic trig functions, then use my suggestion. I have a feeling pasmith's substitution is a bit cleaner but there is nothing incorrect about using tangent.

Dear Sirs/Madams,
Here is my second attempt. But, I graphed it and it does not give the same answer as the hyperbolic function that wolfram alpha gives me.

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 466
That looks good to me. What did Wolfram give as an answer? Likely, you could manipulate that answer into the answer you gave.

ArcSinh[(2 + x)/Sqrt[17]]/2

The functions do not match!

alingy1 said:
ArcSinh[(2 + x)/Sqrt[17]]/2

They are equivalent to each other. Plug their difference into WolframAlpha to see:

ArcSinh[(2 + x)/Sqrt[17]]/2 - 1/2log(sqrt{(x+2)^2+17}/sqrt(17)+(x+2)/sqrt(17))

A good exercise for you would be to use the definition of arcsinh to write that form into your form.

As a starting point: ##\sinh^{-1}{x}=\ln{(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})}##

alingy1 said:

If you set ##y = x+2## you have an integral of the form
[tex] \int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}} \: (a > 0) [/tex]
(times a constant), and if you further put ##y = \sqrt{a}\: u## you end up having to do the integral
[tex]
\int \frac{du}{\sqrt{u^2+1}} [/tex]
You might as well do this integral once-and-for-all, then use it in your current problem.

What is the formula for "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))"?

The formula for "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" is the indefinite integral of 1 divided by the square root of 84+16x+4x^2, which can be expressed as ∫(1/sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))dx.

What is the domain of "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))"?

The domain of "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" is all real numbers except for -21/2 and -3/2, as these values would result in a division by zero.

Can "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" be solved using substitution?

Yes, "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" can be solved using substitution by letting u = 4x+6 and du = 4dx. This will transform the integral into ∫(1/sqroot(u^2+4))du, which can be solved using trigonometric substitution or partial fraction decomposition.

What is the graph of "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))"?

The graph of "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" is a hyperbola with a vertical asymptote at x = -21/2 and a horizontal asymptote at y = 0. The curve approaches the asymptotes but never touches them.

Can "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" be simplified?

Yes, "Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))" can be simplified by factoring the expression under the square root sign and using trigonometric substitution or partial fraction decomposition. This will result in a simpler form of the integral that can be evaluated more easily.