1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2))

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    Could you please check this integration?

I get a different answer from WolframAlpha.

Integral of 1/(sqroot(84+16x+4x^2)) dx

Look at picture please! I apologize for the other physiology information. I have no more clean scrap paper left.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

So far as [tex]
    \int \frac 1{\sqrt{84 + 16x + 4x^2}}\,dx = \frac14 \int \frac{2(x+2)}{(x + 2)\sqrt{(x+ 2)^2 + 17}}\,dx[/tex] I agree with your calculations. You now appear to substitute [itex]u = (x + 2)^2 + 17[/itex], with [itex]du = 2(x + 2)\,dx[/itex], from which you should obtain [tex]
    \frac14 \int \frac{2(x+2)}{(x + 2)\sqrt{(x+ 2)^2 + 17}}\,dx = \frac14 \int \frac{1}{(x + 2)\sqrt{u}}\,du = \frac14 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u - 17}\sqrt{u}}\,du[/tex] rather than [tex]\frac14 \int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u^2 + 17}}\,du[/tex] which is what you have.

It would have been better to substitute [itex]x + 2 = \sqrt{17} \sinh \theta[/itex] after completing the square in the denominator. The motivation for this is that [itex]\cosh^2 \theta = 1 + \sinh^2 \theta[/itex] and the derivative of [itex]\sinh \theta[/itex] is [itex]\cosh \theta[/itex]. You therefore end up with a constant integrand.

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    The issue here is when you do the u substitution and plug in your values for u. You should have written

##\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u-17}\sqrt{u}}du##

I wouldn't do u-substitution for this problem. Try doing trig substitution: ##x+2=\sqrt{17}\tan{\theta}##

5. May 20, 2014 #4
    Hi, I have never been introduced to those wild "sinh" functions! Let me get back to you after a few minutes of sweat.

6. May 20, 2014 #5
    Oh. I understand. Then, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation... Since, I cannot use sinh cosh etc.., I'm stuck with a trig sub.

7. May 20, 2014 #6
    Hmm. At which step should I do the trig sub?

8. May 20, 2014 #7
    The step after you complete the square in the denominator. If you haven't learned hyberbolic trig functions, then use my suggestion. I have a feeling pasmith's substitution is a bit cleaner but there is nothing incorrect about using tangent.

9. May 20, 2014 #8
    Dear Sirs/Madams,
    Here is my second attempt. But, I graphed it and it does not give the same answer as the hyperbolic function that wolfram alpha gives me.

Attached Files:

10. May 20, 2014 #9
    That looks good to me. What did Wolfram give as an answer? Likely, you could manipulate that answer into the answer you gave.

11. May 20, 2014 #10
    ArcSinh[(2 + x)/Sqrt[17]]/2

12. May 20, 2014 #11
    The functions do not match!

13. May 20, 2014 #12
    They are equivalent to each other. Plug their difference into WolframAlpha to see:

ArcSinh[(2 + x)/Sqrt[17]]/2 - 1/2log(sqrt{(x+2)^2+17}/sqrt(17)+(x+2)/sqrt(17))

A good exercise for you would be to use the definition of arcsinh to write that form into your form.

As a starting point: ##\sinh^{-1}{x}=\ln{(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})}##

14. May 20, 2014 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you set ##y = x+2## you have an integral of the form
    [tex] \int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}} \: (a > 0) [/tex]
    (times a constant), and if you further put ##y = \sqrt{a}\: u## you end up having to do the integral
    [tex]
    \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{u^2+1}} [/tex]
    You might as well do this integral once-and-for-all, then use it in your current problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted