Integral against E is 0, show m(E)=0

• Thread starter Newtime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author is trying to approximate a function f by a sequence of non-negative measurable functions, but is having trouble proving the result. He is considering a different approach involving a lemma which states that f is measurable if and only if it's the pointwise limit of a sequence of measurable simple functions. If this sequence of functions is non-negative, then each function in the sequence is also non-negative.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f >0 [/tex] a.e. be measurable. If [tex] \int_E f = 0[/tex] for some measurable set [tex]E[/tex] then show [tex]m(E)=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

This is about 10 pages into the chapter on Lebesgue integration, so I'm using the definition, a few immediate corollaries and the lemma that if f is nonnegative and measurable and its integral is 0 then f is 0 a.e.

The Attempt at a Solution

While working on this problem I completed several proofs, all of which had fault assumptions. For example, if I can assume f is integrable, then I can use a separate lemma and complete the proof. But of courses, I cannot make this assumption.

If we define a function g to be f restricted to the set on which it is nonnegative, and replace g in the problem statement with g then I can prove the result as well. So I was trying to get to the implication that if the integral of f against E is zero than the integral of g against E is zero as well. But this doesn't seem lie it needs to be true either.

I think this is a simple problem that I'm over thinking (I hope). In any case, I think a small nudge in the right direction will clear things up. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newtime said:
[...]the lemma that if f is nonnegative and measurable and its integral is 0 then f is 0 a.e.

That sounds relevant indeed... if I read it correctly then you want to prove exactly this if f is not measurable everywhere, but almost everywhere.
So then, maybe you can approximate f by a series of everywhere non-negative measurable functions?

CompuChip said:
That sounds relevant indeed... if I read it correctly then you want to prove exactly this if f is not measurable everywhere, but almost everywhere.
So then, maybe you can approximate f by a series of everywhere non-negative measurable functions?

Thanks for the reply, CompuChip. You are correct that I basically am looking to generalize that lemma. Regarding approximating f: this can be done as well. There is a lemma which says that f is measurable if and only if it's the pointwise limit of a sequence of measurable simple functions. However, these functions may still be (and would be) not (necessarily) non-negative. There is an analogous result that guarantees each of the simple functions are nonnegative but of course the additional assumption is that f is nonnegative to begin with. This is what led me to consider the set D of all elements of the domain on which f is less than or equal to zero and then the function g which is 0 on this set and f everywhere else. Do you see a way around this? Or is there no problem to begin with and perhaps I'm overlooking something?

What does "integral against E is 0" mean?

The integral against E being 0 means that the area under the curve of a function over the set E is equal to 0. In other words, the total accumulation of the function over E is equal to 0.

What is the significance of showing m(E)=0?

Showing that m(E)=0 indicates that the set E has a measure of 0. This is important in mathematics and physics as it allows us to make conclusions about the properties and behavior of the set E.

What is the relationship between "integral against E is 0" and "m(E)=0"?

The relationship between the two statements is that if the integral against E is 0, then m(E)=0. This is a direct result of the definition of the Lebesgue integral and measure, which are used to calculate the area and size of a set.

Why is it important to prove that m(E)=0?

Proving that m(E)=0 is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior and properties of a set. In particular, it allows us to determine if a set is negligible or if it has a significant impact on the overall function.

What are the applications of "integral against E is 0, show m(E)=0" in science?

The applications of this concept in science are vast, as it is used in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of probabilities, integration, and differential equations to analyze and understand the behavior of different systems.