Integral Calculus - reduction formula/formulae

In summary, the conversation is about integration and specifically the concept of reduction formula. The person is struggling with the concept and asks for help. Another person provides an explanation and shares a helpful resource. The concept involves using integration by parts to simplify complex integrals, and this can be further simplified by using a recursion formula. The conversation also includes an example of using a reduction formula to solve an integral.
james.farrow
Hi everyone - first a thanks to all who helped me through differential calculus and limits etc - think I'm getting the hang of it...

Anyway as you can probably guess the next topic is integration. I'm kinda stuck on the 'concept' of reduction formula. I've done the usual integration techniques and by parts but this is really difficult!

Can anyone help me please!
A kind of walk through lol

Many Thanks

James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi!

Could you possibly explain why do you think its difficult, and what part of reduction formulas don't understand?

Here is nice http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/4/recursion.2/where explains (using Java or Flash) the derivation of the recursion formulas.

Regards.

james.farrow said:

Anyway as you can probably guess the next topic is integration. I'm kinda stuck on the 'concept' of reduction formula. I've done the usual integration techniques and by parts but this is really difficult!

The concept is easy, say you had

[tex]\int_{0} ^{\frac{\pi}{2}} xsinx dx[/tex]

Now you can use integration by parts and get the answer. But as the degree of x goes higher and higher, it becomes tedious to work out as you'd need to apply integration by parts more and more.

But if we had now

[tex]I_n=\int_0 ^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x^n sinx dx[/tex]

and we expanded that we could somehow get something like that (not correct btw just an example)

In+1= πIn+π/2

so if we wanted to find ∫x3sinx dx or simply I3, we'd have I3=πI2+π/2

and I2=πI1+π/2

we can easily work out I1 (or ∫xsinx dx) as opposed to ∫x3sinx dx

EDIT: Here is a more correct example.

Find

[tex]\int_0 ^{\frac{\pi}{4}} sec^6 x dx[/tex]

so if we apply a a reduction formula to ∫secnx dx (from π/4 to 0)
we would get a formula of (n+1)In+2=2n/2+nIn

We can find ∫sec x dx from π/4 to 0 or I1. I6 then becomes simple substitution.

Last edited:

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integrals and their properties. It involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a continuous interval.

2. What is a reduction formula in integral calculus?

A reduction formula in integral calculus is an equation that enables us to reduce the degree of a given integral by expressing it in terms of integrals with lower degrees. It is useful for solving integrals that cannot be easily evaluated by other methods.

3. How is a reduction formula derived?

Reduction formulas are derived using the technique of integration by parts. This involves breaking down an integral into two parts and using the formula ∫u dv = uv − ∫v du to solve it. By repeating this process multiple times, a reduction formula can be obtained.

4. What is the purpose of using reduction formulae in integral calculus?

The main purpose of using reduction formulae in integral calculus is to simplify the process of solving integrals. It allows us to reduce the degree of a given integral, making it easier to evaluate. This technique is particularly useful when dealing with integrals that involve trigonometric functions.

5. What are the limitations of reduction formulae in integral calculus?

Reduction formulae are not applicable to all integrals. They can only be used for integrals that can be solved using the method of integration by parts. Additionally, they may not always yield a simplified form of the integral, and in some cases, the process of reduction may be lengthy and time-consuming.