Integral for the calculation of torque

In summary, the conversation is about finding an integral to calculate torque from applied torsional shear stress. The integral is derived from the relationship between force, stress, and distance from center. The integral sums up the contribution of each infinitesimal area times its distance from the center.
laurajk
Hello,
I found an integral to calculate the torque from the applied torsional shear stress, and I didn't find an explanation of how this integral is deviated. Where does it come from? Could someone explain?

T = ∫τ⋅r⋅dA = ∫τ⋅2πr⋅dr,
where T is the torque and τ the shear stress.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
laurajk said:
integral is deviated.
I think you mean derived.:smile: And welcome to PF.

Do you understand how force is stress times area? Torque is similar, except that you need to include the distance from center. The torque contribution of an infinitesimal area is proportional to the distance from center, so a simple multiplication does not work. The integral is summing up the contribution of each infinitesimal area times its distance from the center. That's your first equation: Tau is stress, dA is area, and r is distance from center, and the integral adds it all up over the entire area.

Hope this helps.

Hello!
Yes, it should be derived, of course :)
And thank you very much for your explanation, it's very helpful and I think, I got it now! :)

1. What is the purpose of using integrals for calculating torque?

The use of integrals in calculating torque allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the rotational force applied to an object. It takes into account the changing direction and magnitude of the force, resulting in a more comprehensive understanding of the torque.

2. How do you set up the integral for calculating torque?

The integral for calculating torque is set up by multiplying the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied by the magnitude of the force, and then integrating this product over the entire range of motion. This results in a single value representing the total torque.

3. Can integrals be used to calculate torque for any type of motion?

Yes, integrals can be used to calculate torque for any type of motion as long as the force and distance from the axis of rotation are known and can be represented by a mathematical function.

4. Are there any limitations to using integrals for calculating torque?

One limitation of using integrals for calculating torque is that it assumes a continuous and smooth motion. In cases where the motion is not continuous or there are sudden changes in direction, the integral may not accurately represent the total torque.

5. How can integrals be applied to real-life situations for calculating torque?

Integrals for calculating torque can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing machinery, analyzing the forces on a rotating object, or determining the stability of a structure. They provide a mathematical approach to understanding and predicting the effects of torque in practical applications.