Definite integral involving partial fractions

In summary, the student attempted to solve a system of equations that involved trigonometric identities and forgot to include parentheses and the exponent 2 in the second factor of the denominator. Once they fixed the errors, they were able to solve for the constants.
Obliv

Homework Statement

04c586f47c.png

Homework Equations

trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a trig substitution of u=tan(θ/2) and from that I could substitute cos(θ) = 1-u2/1+u2

dθ = 2/(1+u2)
du = 1/2 sec2(θ/2) dθ

I simplified a bit and changed the bounds to get 2du/(5u2 + 1)(1 + u2)2 with lower bound 0 and upper bound 1.

I think at this point I have to do partial fractions. Do I need 3 linear terms or 2? I tried Ax+B/5u2+1 + Cx + D/(1+u2)2 + Ex+F/(1+u2) = 2/(5u2 + 1)(1 + u2)

I have no idea how to evaluate such a complicated system of equations. I could really use some guidance here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to fix up the errors.

You have written x in the numerators where you should have written u.
You have omitted parentheses around your numerators and denominators.
You have omitted the exponent 2 in the second factor of the denominator on the RHS.

Once you've done that, multiply both sides by the RHS denominator and you'll have a polynomial equation of order 6 with six unknown constants. Put it all on one side and then you get seven equations by equating the coefficient of each power of u to zero.

Those equations will enable you to solve to find the constants.

Obliv said:

Homework Statement

04c586f47c.png

Homework Equations

trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a trig substitution of u=tan(θ/2) and from that I could substitute cos(θ) = (1-u2)/(1+u2)
Throw some parentheses in where needed, and that looks right.
dθ = 2/(1+u2)
There should be a du on the right hand side of the above.
##\displaystyle \ d\theta=\frac{2}{1+u^2}du \ ##

I don't see any need to use the following.
du = 1/2 sec2(θ/2) dθ

I simplified a bit and changed the bounds to get 2du/(5u2 + 1)(1 + u2)2 with lower bound 0 and upper bound 1.
Check your Algebra. I get that the (1+ u2) should cancel, not be squared.
I think at this point I have to do partial fractions. Do I need 3 linear terms or 2? I tried Ax+B/5u2+1 + Cx + D/(1+u2)2 + Ex+F/(1+u2) = 2/(5u2 + 1)(1 + u2)

I have no idea how to evaluate such a complicated system of equations. I could really use some guidance here.

Last edited:
Likes Obliv
SammyS said:
I don't see any need to use the following.

Check your Algieba. I get that the (1+ u2) should cancel, not be squared.

thanks a ton. I didn't catch that at first. I actually re-checked my algebra like 10 times and kept getting different answers. It's sad to see gaps in my knowledge but I guess this gives me good reason to strengthen those areas.

What is a definite integral involving partial fractions?

A definite integral involving partial fractions is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals that involve fractions with different denominators. It involves breaking down the fraction into simpler fractions and then integrating each individual fraction.

Why do we use partial fractions in definite integrals?

Partial fractions are used in definite integrals to simplify the integration process. It allows us to break down complex fractions into smaller, more manageable fractions that are easier to integrate.

What are the steps to solve a definite integral involving partial fractions?

The steps to solve a definite integral involving partial fractions are:

1. Factorize the denominator of the fraction into linear or quadratic factors.
  2. Write the fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with each factor as the denominator.
  3. Find the constants for each fraction by equating the numerators of the original fraction and the sum of the simpler fractions.
  4. Integrate each individual fraction.
  5. Substitute the limits of integration into the integrated fractions and subtract the results to find the final answer.

Can all integrals involving fractions be solved using partial fractions?

No, not all integrals involving fractions can be solved using partial fractions. This technique can only be used for integrals with proper rational functions, which means that the degree of the polynomial in the numerator must be less than the degree of the polynomial in the denominator.

What are some applications of definite integrals involving partial fractions?

Definite integrals involving partial fractions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities. They are also used in solving differential equations, finding centroids of shapes, and calculating probabilities in statistics.