Integral more complicated than it should be, fear I got homework question wrong

In summary, the homework statement is given Integral, but the student is not yet proficient in integrating by parts. They are looking for a solution to a problem that is easier than the original problem. They attempted to solve the simpler problem first, but ran into a problem with symmetry. They remembered that derivatives work in reverse, and substituted in that. They then solved the problem with substitution.
midwestudent

Homework Statement

Given the definite integral
[tex]\int_{0}^{2}{x^2 \over \sqrt{x^2 + 16}}[/tex]

find the average using the mean value theorum for integrals

Homework Equations

Here's the tricky part: Although I employed it as a last resort (see later), we haven't been taught integration by parts yet. We also aren't at antiderivatives for inverse trig functions, or any transcendtal functions.

The hammer which you get to swing at this problem that's supposed to be a nail is u substitution,
[tex]\int{f(g(x))g'(x)} == \int{u du}[/tex]

We also know about symmetry, reducing even functions to half the domain and odd functions to zero when their intervals cancel out, and periodicity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first looked at the far easier problem,
[tex]\int{x \over \sqrt{x^2 + 16}}[/tex]
which can be solved easily with
[tex]{1 \over 2} \int{2x \over \sqrt(x^2 + 16}}[/tex]
since that reduces to
[tex]{1 \over 2} \int{u^{-1 \over 2} du}[/tex]

So I thought it would be a good idea to split up that x^2 into x * x, to get
[tex]{1 \over 2} \int{x u^{-1 \over 2} du}[/tex]
But I don't know how to break it up past that point without using integration by parts.
Integration by parts also involves introducing so many complicated steps that I'm positive I made a mistake somewhere, so I'll post everything I have and please correct at will.

[tex]u = x^2 + 16, du = 2x dx[/tex]
[tex]dv = x du == x(2x) dx== 2x^2 dx, v = \int_{0}^{2}{2x^2 dx} == ({2 \over 3}) (2^3) == {16 \over 3} [/tex]
[tex]w = u^{-1 \over 2}, dw = {2x \over 2 \sqrt{x^2 + 16}} dx == {x \over \sqrt{x^2 + 16}} dx [/tex]
[tex]({1 \over 2}) ({1 \over 2}) \int_{0}^{2}{x u^{-1 \over 2} du} [/tex]
[tex]{1 \over 4} \int_{0}^{2}{w dv} [/tex]
[tex]({16 \over 3}) ({1 \over \sqrt{20}}) - {1 \over 4} \int_{0}^{2}{v dw} [/tex]
[tex]{16 \over 3 \sqrt{20}} - {1 \over 4}\int_{0}^{2}{{16 \over 3} {x \over \sqrt{x^2 + 16}}dx}[/tex]
At this point, I remembered that 2x is the derivative of u, and there's 2 twos in 16/3 with 4/3 left over, and if you multiply that 4/3 by 3/2 you get another 2x, soooo (I told you this all seemed too complicated for a homework problem)
[tex]{1 \over 4}\int_{0}^{2}{2 dw} + {1 \over 4}\int_{0}^{2}{2 dw} + ({1 \over 4})({2 \over 3})\int_{0}^{2}{2 dw}[/tex]
[tex]== {2 \over 3}\int_{0}^{2}{2 dw} == {2 \over 3}\int_{0}^{2}{u^{-1 \over 2} du}[/tex]
[tex]{16 \over \sqrt{20}} - {2 \over 3}\int_{0}^{2}{u^{-1 \over 2} du}[/tex]
[tex]{16 \over \sqrt{20}} - ({2 \over 3})({1 \over 2}) \sqrt{2^2 + 16}[/tex]

which is a math problem involving subtracting one number with an irrational numerator from one number with an irrational denominator. Which, to me, is a red flag saying I did something wrong.

So I'm looking for
A.)Corrections to any mistakes I may have made which will help me anyway, and
B.)The "right" way to do this problem, without integration by parts

One thing (I'm not great with integration by parts yet), I'm not really sure I should have pulled v through and subbed in 2 and 0 when I did, or if I should have waited and just left it as a variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using [tex]x=4\tan{\theta}[/tex] :).

Last edited:
hwmaltby said:
Try using [tex]x=4/tan{/theta}[/tex] :).

Commands in TeX start with a backslash ("\"), not a forward slash ("/").

And need to be inside a [ tex] or [ itex] tags, like this (but without the space after the [ character).
[ itex]x = 4 tan(\theta) [ /itex]

Oh, yes, I wrote it in tex tags, but it disappeared for some reason =(. I was using mobile physicsforums, so I messed up. It's edited now...

Thanks for the help :)

While we're on the subject of latex, I noticed neither

\\

nor

\linebreak

works. Is the only way to make a line break closing the tex tag and then hitting enter?

Last edited:
You're welcome =).

I generally make new tex tags, but I believe there is a way using \vspace[]. However, you should probably ask someone more experienced than I =).

Related to Integral more complicated than it should be, fear I got homework question wrong

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the total value of a function over a certain range.

How do I know if I got an integral question wrong?

If you are unsure if you got an integral question wrong, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original integral and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also try solving the integral using a different method to see if you get the same answer.

Why is my integral more complicated than it should be?

Integrals can sometimes be more complicated than expected due to the function being integrated or the limits of integration. It is important to carefully follow the steps and techniques for solving integrals to avoid making mistakes.

What should I do if I am struggling with integrals?

If you are struggling with integrals, it is important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. You can also find online resources and practice problems to improve your understanding and skills.

How can I avoid making mistakes on integral questions?

To avoid making mistakes on integral questions, it is important to carefully read and understand the question and use proper notation and techniques when solving. Double-checking your work and practicing regularly can also help improve accuracy.