Integral of 1/u^n knowing integral of 1/u

• Thread starter ezintegral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of 1/u^n can be found by using the formula for the integral of 1/u and applying the power rule. The resulting integral is equal to -(1/(n-1)) * (1/u^(n-1)) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This method can be used for any value of n, as long as n is not equal to 1.
ezintegral
Hello,

This is the initial problem:

Find the primitive of 1/(x4+1)

i've done this, the value of the primitive is this ugly looking expression:

http://image.bayimg.com/d9ac5052a83d5808955a7a647c6cb7343f9ace1f.jpg

Now the question asked is to deduce the primitive value of 1/(x4+1)^3 from what I found.

This is why I'm asking if there is any general method to compute the value of ∫1/u^n knowing ∫1/u

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, essentially there isn't. [itex] \int \frac{1}{(1+x^4)^3} [/itex] is solved through partial fractions.

ezintegral said:
Hello,

This is the initial problem:

Find the primitive of 1/(x4+1)

i've done this, the value of the primitive is this ugly looking expression:

Your image isn't showing.
ezintegral said:
Now the question asked is to deduce the primitive value of 1/(x4+1)^3 from what I found.

This is why I'm asking if there is any general method to compute the value of ∫1/u^n knowing ∫1/u

Two comments here:
1. The two formulas are not related.
$$ \int \frac{du}{u^n} = \int u^{-n}du = \frac{u^{-n + 1}}{-n + 1} + C$$
$$\int \frac{du}{u} = ln|u| + C$$

The integrals you show don't fit either of these formulas, because if u = x4 + 1, then du = 4x3dx, which you don't have.

2. You have omitted the differential du from your integrals above. This isn't so crucial in the early stages of learning integration, but it is for more complicated methods such as integration by parts and trig substitution.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm going to try rewriting 1/(x4+1) in partial equations and see what I can get.

ezintegral said:
Thanks for the answers.

I'm going to try rewriting 1/(x4+1) in partial equations and see what I can get.

Presumably you mean 1/(x4 + 1). At the very least, use '^' to write this as 1/(x^4 + 1).

As for breaking up 1/(x4 + 1) using partial fractions, I don't see how this will do you any good. The denominator cannot be reduced to lower-degree factors with real coefficients.

It would help if you showed us the exact problem you're working on.

Mark44 said:
... The denominator cannot be reduced to lower-degree factors with real coefficients.
x4 + 1 can be reduced to lower-degree factors with real coefficients, but not to lower-degree factors with integer coefficients.

[itex]x^4+1=(x^2+(\sqrt{2})x+1)(x^2-(\sqrt{2})x+1)[/itex]

Mark44 said:
Presumably you mean 1/(x4 + 1). At the very least, use '^' to write this as 1/(x^4 + 1).

As for breaking up 1/(x4 + 1) using partial fractions, I don't see how this will do you any good. The denominator cannot be reduced to lower-degree factors with real coefficients.

It would help if you showed us the exact problem you're working on.

This problem is presented in 2 questions.

1) Find the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{x^4 + 1}[/itex]

This is done, no particular problem. You get this:

2) Deduce the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{(x^4 + 1)^3}[/itex] from the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{x^4 + 1}[/itex]

Now the problem is with 2). I don't see how I can use the first result to find the second one.

Thank you for your time.

SammyS said:
x4 + 1 can be reduced to lower-degree factors with real coefficients, but not to lower-degree factors with integer coefficients.

[itex]x^4+1=(x^2+(\sqrt{2})x+1)(x^2-(\sqrt{2})x+1)[/itex]
Thanks...

ezintegral said:
This problem is presented in 2 questions.

1) Find the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{x^4 + 1}[/itex]

This is done, no particular problem. You get this:

2) Deduce the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{(x^4 + 1)^3}[/itex] from the primitive of [itex]\frac{1}{x^4 + 1}[/itex]

Now the problem is with 2). I don't see how I can use the first result to find the second one.

Thank you for your time.
The image above is attached here.
d9ac5052a83d5808955a7a647c6cb7343f9ace1f.jpg

dextercioby said:
[tex] I_{n} = \int\frac{dx}{\left(1+x^4\right)^n}, \\ ~, n\in \mathbb{N} [/tex]

Point 1 asks you to compute I1. I3 follows from twice part integration.

Integration by parts once is enough to determine a recursive relationship of the form [itex]I_{n+1}(x)=f(x, n)I_n(x)+g(x, n)[/itex]. [itex]I_3[/itex] can then be expressed in terms of [itex]I_1(x)[/itex] by using that relationship twice.

gabbagabbahey said:
Integration by parts once is enough to determine a recursive relationship of the form [itex]I_{n+1}(x)=f(x, n)I_n(x)+g(x, n)[/itex]. [itex]I_3[/itex] can then be expressed in terms of [itex]I_1(x)[/itex] by using that relationship twice.

Thank you, this looks promising and within my reach.

What is the formula for the integral of 1/u^n?

The integral of 1/u^n is equal to (1-n)/u^(n-1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How is the integral of 1/u^n related to the integral of 1/u?

The integral of 1/u^n is derived from the integral of 1/u by using the power rule for integration. Therefore, the two integrals are closely related to each other.

Can the integral of 1/u^n be simplified further?

Yes, the integral of 1/u^n can be simplified further by using algebraic manipulation to combine the terms and simplify the resulting expression.

What is the degree of the polynomial in the integral of 1/u^n?

The degree of the polynomial in the integral of 1/u^n is n-1. This is because the integral of 1/u^n is equivalent to u^(-n), which has a degree of n-1.

How can the integral of 1/u^n be applied in real-world situations?

The integral of 1/u^n can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving inverse relationships. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force or to model population growth and decay.