1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of a area under a straight line as summation

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Snap2.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Summs:
    $$1+2+3+...+n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$$
    $$1^2+2^2+3^2+...+n^2=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$\Delta x=\frac{b}{n}$$
    $$S_n=f\left( \frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x+f\left( \Delta x+\frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x+...+f\left( (n-1)\Delta x+\frac{\Delta x}{2} \right)\Delta x$$
    $$S_n=\left( \frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+\left( \frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+\left( 2\frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}+...+\left( (n-1)\frac{b}{n}+\frac{b}{2n} \right) \frac{b}{n}$$
    $$S_n=\frac{b^2}{2n^2}(1+3+5+...+2n-1)$$
    But i was taught, in that chapter, only the two sums from the Relevant Equations

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2017 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a hint to get you a better start. Let ##\Delta x_k = x_k - x_{k-1}## and ##c_k = \frac{x_k+x_{k-1}}{2}## with ##x_0=0,~x_n = b##. Then$$
    S_n = \sum_{k=1}^n f(c_k)\Delta x_k =\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(x_k+x_{k-1})}{2}(x_k - x_{k-1})$$Try simplifying that product in the sum and write out a few terms to see what happens. I don't think you will need any of your fancy sum formulas.

4. Apr 22, 2017 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

And if you want to continue with your attempt as well, consider the sum ##1+2+\cdots+(2n-1)+2n## and split it up into a sum of the even and odd terms.

5. Apr 22, 2017 #4
    $$S_n=\frac{x_1+x_0}{2}(x_1-x_0)+\frac{x_2+x_1}{2}(x_2-x_1)+\frac{x_3+x_2}{2}(x_3-x_2)+...+\frac{x_n+x_{n-1}}(x_n-x_{n-1})=...=\frac{1}{2}x_n^2$$

6. Apr 23, 2017 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you see why it equals ##\frac{1}{2}x_n^2##? Did you multiply out the products in the sum as I suggested in post #2? Do you understand how to get the answer, or are you just copying stuff?

7. Apr 23, 2017 #6
    I know how to get to the answer, i just shortened. but i don't understand the other method suggested:
    I calculated that ##~1+3+5+...+n=n^2##, but not as a split sum of even and odd numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted