• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Integral of a concave function

• Thread starter talolard
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let [tex] f:[0,2]\rightarrow[0,\infty) [/tex] be continuous and non negative. Assume thaqt for any [tex] x,y\in[0,2] [/tex] and [tex] 0<\lambda<1 f(\lambda x+(1-\lambda)y)\geq\lambda f(x)+(1-\lambda)f(y) [/tex]. Given that f(1)=1 prove

[tex] \int_{0}^{2}f(x)dx\geq1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sat for hours. I have zero inspiration. I need a gentle shove in the right direction please.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Consider the function g(x)=x for x in [0,1] and g(x)=2-x for x in [1,2]. Can you show f(x)>=g(x)?

I think i got it.
Define [tex] g(x):\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R} [/tex] . Such that [tex] g(x)=\begin{cases}
x & 0\leq x\leq1\\
2-x & 1<x<2\end{cases} [/tex].

Assume that for some [tex] x\in[0,2] g(x)>f(x) [/tex] . Then [tex] g(x)=x>f(x)=f(x1+\left(1-x\right)y)\geq xf(1)+\left(1-x\right)f(y)=g(x) [/tex] +Something positive (Not precise here with the domain).

Then [tex] g(x)\geq g(x)+\epsilon [/tex] a contradiction. Thus we have that for all [tex] x\in[0,2] f(x)\geq g(x) [/tex]

Then [tex] \int_{0}^{2}f(x)\geq\int_{0}^{2}f(x)=\int_{0}^{1}x+\int_{1}^{2}2-x=\frac{1}{2}+\left|2x-\frac{x^{2}}{2}\right|_{1}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}+4-2-2+\frac{1}{2}=1 [/tex] Q.E.D.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I can't really figure out what your contradiction is all about. Did you draw a graph of g(x)? You know f(0)>=0 and f(1)=1. If you connect (0,f(0)) and (1,f(1)) with a line then your condition says the graph of f is above or on that line, right? Do you see how that proves f(x)>=g(x) on [0,1]? Can you translate the picture into a proof?