Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Integral of Dirac function from 0 to a... value

1. Nov 22, 2017 #1
    Hi. So I'm trying to use Laplace transforms in inverting a particular s-function via the convolution formula.

I ended up with this terrifying-looking thing:

convo.png

So distributing, I ended up with:
    convo2.png

Evaluating the second integral poses no problem for me (although I think the integration will definitely be 'hairy'). I have a problem with the first integral though. How on earth do I integrate the dirac delta? Help! I am totally at a loss here. Or am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2017 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your problem? The integral should be the value of the integrand (without the delta function) at t' = 0.

4. Nov 23, 2017 #3
    sin(wt) right?

But I did partial fraction expansion using algebra software (mathcad) and the answer was different numerically (I mean, I numerically integrated that function, taking into account that the first integral is sin(w*t)

5. Nov 23, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You might want half that value if your integration border is right where the delta is.
    It depends on how the delta appears in the Laplace transform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted